Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

K&N POWER KITS.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother has a 450s honda (2001) and i was woundering if anyone out there has had any experience with these kits. also with the trx300?
any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-26-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

any takers???????????

Old 08-26-2002, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

Well.. I don't have experience with the power kit and either of those machines, but I got one for my raptor a while back. It's simply a k&n air filter, outerwear, dynojet kit, and oil filter... though I was told that the oil filter was only included in the raptor kit. In the end, it's all good stuff, but if you want to save a few bucks you can buy it all seperate and just get the mikuni jets from your dealer instead of forking out the bucks for the dynojet kit. Don't get me wrong, I've had nothing but good luck with my dynojet kit, but the money spent on it is probably better spent on other things (beer comes to mind). Also keep in mind that the dynojet kit isn't going to work miracles unless you have an aftermarket exhaust, and even then it won't do things like clean your room, wash dishes, or other things that you might think it could do with that price tag.

Anyhow... my 2 cents...

Old 08-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

i can get one for $180 cdn. the guy at the dealer said to buy the jet kit, then get a uni filter, does the same thing, only $120 cdn. my brother was thinking of a FMF muffler, or a supertrapp, but they are a lot more $$$ and a muffler does about the same as a power kit. my cousin just installed a jet kit in his 750 ACE (cruiser) and it pull harder, they said K&N doesn't make a filter for his bike, but i found the part number on the K&N site, so he ordered one now.

Old 08-26-2002, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

Keep in mind that the power kit can only be as good as an exhaust in a case where the high flow filter included can increase air flow enough to create a lean enough condition to where you can jump up at least a couple jet sizes. I'm not familiar with your bike, but it seems that the exhaust would be a bigger cork than your air filter, however I understand that they are quite expensive. If i were you, I'd look for a good deal on a slip on (approx.. $200?.. I could be wrong here) and buy a jet from the dealer ( $2 ). Then when you had the money you could look into an air filter. I know that this is the more expensive route, but if you were looking to go in the exhaust, air filter, jet direction then this is the order i'd go for what its worth.

Old 08-26-2002, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

I bought the Dynojet kit and the K&N filter (with the pre-filter) weparatly last year. Actually, in the K&N power kit, I think you get all the same stuff in a nice package. I installed the filter right away, but didn't noticed anything important. Then, a few months later, I went to the dealer to install the Jet Kit (cause I know nothing about mecanic). It seems to be a little more responsive. I like it very much. I never changed anything else on my quad, and now after 1 year of use, It feel really more confortable. I can wheelie very easily compared to last year... Maybe the power kit helped me out. Anyways, hope this helps RINCON.

Old 08-26-2002, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

thanks, it did help. a slip on muffler was what i was looking at, but they're anywheres from 300-500+ dollars (remember we're talking cdn money here. and i'd rather wait than to put a cheap, rattly exhaust on it.

one more question- on an auto quad what does a FMF, or any aftermarket, exhaust sound like? on a 5 speed you can rev it through the gears, making it sound nice, but what about the auto's??

thanks again for the help guys!

Old 08-27-2002, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

I installed(in my 400ex) the KN power kit,noticed better throttle response.,, then a couple of weeks later installed a pro circuit t4 slip on,,, noticed an even bigger diff. I think the two complimented each other,,allowing more flow through the hole sysytem...its worth the money,,,

Old 08-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

thanks, i know the two work in unison.....but a nice pipe up here is $400. and if the power kit works good, it's only $180......so i'll get the power kit, for now anyways.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Used "Jets" are $2 and new are $5 (min) up to $8 @ dealer (if they have to send for them)
I went reverse, I went down in the jetting, and it runs great. Keep in mind I moved up 3,000 above sea level.

Ron

Quick Reply: K&N POWER KITS.