Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

reverse custom setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anybody done that reverse thing on the 300ex they say on the exriders site about using something like a chain or cable to pull it back all the time so that when you need to use it all you have to do is use the clutch? if so does it hurt the motor or is it fine on it? i was wanting to maybe do that and replace my whole clutch and lever thing. thanks

Old 08-27-2002, 01:30 AM
The Facility

The arm has be rotated backwards at all times to disengage the reverse lockout permanently.

You can do this two ways.

[1] Adjust the cable [about 6inches from the lockout arm] all the way. This keeps everything else stock. cables and all.

[2] Remove the cable and attach a wire cable [or chain as you suggested] to the cable adjuster mount and then attach the other end to the lockout arm. be sure the arm is rotated fully towards the back of the quad. This will allow you to remove the "crap" at the left handlebar. You can then remove the emergency brake cable and then use any of the trick clutch perch/lever assemblies available for the motorcycles. All bikes and quads have the same size cable end, so it doesn't matter what perch and lever you use as long as the perch and lever are for the same model. most prefer the CR because of it's pull ratio. honda even has a patent on this unique ratio. it's what I use myself.

As far as being safe.......

You will still have to pull the reverse lever by the left engine case to engage reverse. Since your reverse lockout is now disengaged at all times, it is possible for the ATV to want to go into reverse no matter what gear you are in. Just make sure you are in neutral before doing this. I have seen this happen when NOT in netral and no damage was evident, but it wouldn't go into reverse and you could hear gear grinding noise....which isn't good. My guess is that if you were to do this often, the transmission wouldn't last too long.

Patrick

Old 08-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

yeah i heard from some 300ex rider that the mod was a good one and that i should do it, but i wasn't hesitant because i heard it did some damage to the tranny. but i think i will go ahead and do it just for the fact it will make reverse easier. i heard also that using a raptor clutch/perch was a good choice, is this true? thanks for all the help.