Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex Mods???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'm not here to be critisized for anything what so ever, I need to know which mods you all recommend for a 2002 400ex. I realize this question has been asked many times but at this point in time I have a large sum of money with little time on my hands this week, I'm subscribing to this so I will be notified of replies.

Pipe:
I need something powerful, I was thinking of the E-Series. Head pipe I have heard good things about the FMF head pipe. I'm trying to stay reasonably quiet, or I would just get the Sparks pipe and say forget it. but I do have to watch it at times.

I have a K&N air filter with outterwear on it now also no airbox lid, I have razors all the way around because I won them from an online contest [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have renthals and I'm getting a lonestar +3.5 axle, I think instead of A-arms I'm going to go with front wheel spacers. Also I hit a 1 inch steal and now I need new front fenders, my quad is red, anyone recommend an awesome looking graphics kit? hmm if I have left any mods out please point them out. Cheap nerfs also, the propegs I priced locally were like $209. Full body skids also. Thanks guys!

Old 09-04-2002, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

bump

Old 09-04-2002, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

If you still have the stock bars on it I would put a good set of aftermarket bars. I have some FMF 909 bars on my 400ex. I like them a lot but there are so many that are just as good or better.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have Renthals [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I just ordered my White Brothers E-Series slip-on. I'm having my stock head pipe drilled out and ported and polished. This is temporary until I can budget a new head pipe, I also would like to konw what you all recommend.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

The larger head pipe may not be worth the trouble unless you plan on going to a big bore. Most bang for the buck is a 416 with higher comp ratio, cams and port and polish the heads. Remove the choke for better trottle response. I had the e-series it helps.

Just my thoughts, subject to change.

Smitty

Old 09-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

A cam is a good investment. I wish I had some extra cash to get one for my 400ex. Most upgrades are good, just plan out what exactly you want to do to your quad and determine which upgrades are more important at the present time. If you don't plan on increasing displacement then a headpipe isn't a necessity at the moment. Just don't forget about suspension upgrades, they help a lot.

Old 09-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't really plan to make any mods internally as it may void my 3 year warranty, but its Honda and I shouldn't ever need to use that warranty. Its a tough decision, the package I got my quad with included a full 30 month free warranty. I have priced stage two cams around $140 brand new off ebay. As far as boring it, I'm not planning to do anything like that until it blows up or something. I'm not racing but I do ride trails and love to be the better quad of the group, its tough when 5 other people I ride with all have modded 400's as well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2002, 01:13 PM
MrP
Pro Rider

First you need to decide what kind of riding your going to be doing the most of. ex. MX, trail riding, dune riding and so on. Then more people will be able to help you with what mods will benefit you most.

As of right now you might only be into trail riding. But that could change oneday and you will have spent all this money on mods you really dont need.

Old 09-04-2002, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I mainly trail ride and ride in the occasional gravel pit. But we do make trips to Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Haspen, and the Bad Lands.