Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

anyone recommend the Rancher ES 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering buying one of these in a few months. I am just wondering if any of you that own these have experinced any problems. I'm a little uneasy about the electric shift. Is it reliable? Also, does it give the kind of engine braking you get with a standard shift? I'm only considering the ES so that it will be easier for my wife to pilot when she wants. I don't really want a belt drive type auto and I can't really afford the Honda autos. Also does anyone know anything about the kit made by warn that allows you to take it out of 4x4?

Old 09-04-2002, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

hey yeah i had a buddy that has onee beutiful machine he loves the es,, very reliable very stable and it will fly it goes 60 i clock one with my truck. hehe get red[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2002, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

My first quad was a 2000 rancher es. I loved it and my wife loved it. I went to buy another for me, but they didn't have any. I bought a yamaha big bear instead. It just wasn't the same. I finally bought the Foreman es for me. I love it. My wife let me ride her rancher again the other day and I was instantly reminded of how good it is. The rancher now has over 3000 miles on it. No problems with the es on either machine. By the way, even though they are electric shift, they are still standard shift as opposed to automatic (either fluid or belt driven). They have engine braking just like any standard or mechanical shift. I'm not sure, but I believe the new ranchers have selectable 4wd, I know my 2002 foreman does.

Ted

Old 09-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

My dad has an '02 Rancher ES. Very nice machine, but the guy that says it does 60 mph is high. It will do 51 mph like every other Rancher out there. And no, it doesn't have switchable 2wd/4wd but you can buy the Warn 424 kit for about $300. From reports on this board it's not too hard to put in but it will take you about 4 hours.

I'd recomend the Rancher to someone looking at that class of machine. My mom has no trouble with the electric shifting and it makes good power for it's size.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 2002 Rancher 4X4 ES. Everyone in the family loves it. It feels sporty, nimble, climbs extremely well, shifts great. Bought it for our daughters to ride. For "technical trails", I would rather ride it than our Rubicon.

ES works great and I think is alot better than a foot shift. If you are buying an ATV to bury in mud, get a 450S. The Rancher is great to ride
climbs extremely well, comfortable, safest braking system of all ATV's, economical, (oil filter $6, holds two quarts oil, and gets 25 mpg).

Saw a post somewhere and I believe the guy has a 2001 Rancher 4X4 ES with 9950 miles on it and says no problems. Lucky guy must live on it.

I just don't think you can go wrong buying a Rancher. We ride the Paiute trails and the people down there that rent ATV's are all starting to buy Rancher ES's (2wd) because they say they don't like spending there time off repairing their rentals. On place has about 15 Ranchers and he says he will buy nothing else. We have rented 2wd Rancher ES's and they go quite well but I would never buy a 2wd ATV.

Have fun and buy a Red one.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:52 AM
RIP Dear Friend

duster,

I am just not sure about the ES and can not recommend it. I have a permanent valley on my left foot from the superb Honda foot shifter.

Chet
VP KNOWSALOT FACILITY