Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Runnign ALKY. what needs be done?

Old 09-06-2002, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What to do to run alcohol? I have my list of mods in my sig. Does it truely run cooler? IS it harder on the motor? Where to get alcohol and dont you run it as a mix with regular gas? Tell me what i need to know to add a few HP to my bike. What do i need to do to my FCR. Will it hurt my FCR? Anything would be nice... IS alcohol expensive and is the HP gain worth the money? What is average gain from running alcohol...

ThANKS

Old 09-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the basics I tell everyone about Alky:
You will need at LEAST 10.5:1 compression to run right. You can't have too much compression with alky (my 410 is around 14.5).
The FCR is the best carb to convert to alky. You will need a new slide needle (different taper), bigger jets, remove air jets, bigger pilot jet, and a couple of other mods. An engine builder like FTZ can explain what is needed. It has been two years since I converted mine over, and I have forgotten what all I had to do.
Alky runs VERY cool. In below 35 degree temps, my engine acutally stopped running right because the fuel stopped burning. In 85 degree weather, I could actually touch the head after an hour of riding.
I run straight methanol (alky) with Klotz uplon fuel lube mixed in. Wood based fuel doesn't have the lubricating capabilities that comes with petroleum based.
No matter what anyone says ALKY IS NOT CORROSIVE. It does however absorb moisture and the moisture can build up on the cylinder bore and in the carb. The moisture is what causes corrosion (rust). All of the engine and carb seals can be used with alky. I start the bike and run race gas through my carb and motor for about 5 minutes at the end of each riding day in order to flush out all of the alky. This keeps me from having the condesation problem.
Alky is very tedious. Jetting litterly changes day to day. Humidity plays hell on alky jetting.
Methanol can be bought for around $1-1.25 a gallon. Go to some of the circle track racers or shops in your area. You will burn twice as much as gas though.
A %15 power increase can be expected. For example, if you are now at 40 horsepower, alky should increase you by 6 horsepower. The added low end torque is absolutely phenomenal.
The major downside is since you burn twice as much fuel as you would with gas, you experience at least twice as much ring wash. Your ring life won't be that great.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps, Richard