Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rolled lip or no rolled lip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious as to how much better rolled lip wheels are vs. non-rolled lip. I am going to be buying new wheels and tires within a week or so and I see a lot of people saying to get the rolled lip type. Right now I have the stock Honda rolled lip wheels on front and some kind of aftermarket brand on the back (bought quad used so I don't know what they are)that do not have rolled lips. I have had the quad for over two years now and have never had a problem with the wheels / flats except the usual "slow leak" that seems to develop AFTER I get home then magically fixes itself after the next ride.

What does having the rolled lip provide / prevent? Also, I see terms like "beadlocks", or some kind of "ring" that people use.

I do trail riding, usually not to rutty or rocky, but sometimes, and don't do any kind of racing. I was just wondering if I should "pay a little more now instead of paying a lot later" and get rolled lip wheels.

Old 09-13-2002, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason for the rolled edge is that they are much stronger. The reinforcing rings add even more strength and the beadlocks are the ultimate in that it physically locks the tire to the rim so that if you get a flat, the tire will stay in place, allowing you to continue racing at a much faster pace until you can get the tire fixed or changed. The basic, non-rolled rim like what you have on your rear are ok. The big reason for the popularity of that style is cost, they are much cheaper than factory rims. Here is ITP's website for their rims. Douglas is the other big aftermarket wheel company and they offer a similar lineup with all the different varieties. You also have the Hiper carbon fiber rims which only come as beadlocks. It is all a matter of your budget and needs.

Old 09-13-2002, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

For the type of riding that your going to do, the plain non rolled rims will be fine. For racing, I use reinforcing rings, but that's because i've used the non rolled rims before and they always get oblonged when I land hard. For the most part though, you should be fine with regular Douglas or ITP .190's (Douglas Red Label). Their websites are www.itptires.com and www.douglaswheel.com. The rims are available from any mail order place or any local dealer.

--Team440ex

Old 09-13-2002, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

I run the ITP rolled "Edge" wheels on the 400's. There is not even a hint of a bent lip on either bike, and the EX has seen hundreds of miles of hard a$$ desert riding. The 300 and the 250 have the standard (.190) ITP rims, and they get a bent lip now and then (I have become an expert at banging these out!!). My point is that the rolled edge rims are way stronger, but also heavier. ITP has some new rims called the "pro series" I think. Don't know anything about them, but you can check their web site.

Old 09-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

DO NOT GET THE NON-ROLLED LIP RIMS...I REPEAT...DO NOT GET THE NON-ROLLED LIP RIMS....

Unless all you are doing is mowing the lawn with your quad you need the rolled lip type.

Mine are the .190's and are NOT rolled lips and they are complete and utter junk. They are totally worthless and I will never buy them again.

I have gone on two simple trail rides with my quad and they are already bent and gouged and I was being extra careful not to hit anything at all.

After I got back from the first ride I noticed a few big dents on the insides of the rims. The only places I had gone were on a secondary road and a small grassy trail.

The second ride I went on I was even more careful and I came out with a big gouge (almost a crack) in the front rim. Again, I was EXTRA careful not to hit anything and I deffinatly would have remembered if I did.

I don't mean to bash the rims, but honestly in my opinion they are crap. I will keep them and eventually mount some bald tires on them for street use, but that's it.

-Josh