Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher ES Shifting Problems " WHAT'S THE FIX"

Old 09-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone

I have seen several postings about shifting problems with the Rancher ES. But not seen very many replies as to how to fix the problem.

I took my Rancher in for the factory recall of the shifter plate at around 500 miles.

I have a 2001 Rancher ES (4X4 & 2500 miles) and have not had any problems till a few of weeks ago. The first sign of trouble occurred while just joy riding and the ES would simple just stop working, I would be unable to shift up or down. I could stop and turn the engine off/on and everything would be back to normal, this would occur only occasionally. I read the owners manual and it stated that if the ATV was manually shifted the ES would be turned off, and turning the switch off/on would reset the shifting system.

But now my ES has completely stopped working. I have checked all of the connections and evened checked to see if the Shifting switches have power and they do not.

I talked with Honda service about this and they said they had seen no problems with the Rancher and that one of the modules has probably went bad but had no idea which one it could be. I don't mind paying to have it fixed, but do not want to pay for parts that may or may not be bad for them to learn what to check.

I seen several postings which discussed the angle sensor, and I plan to check this as soon as I get a chance. Most of the postings said they were seeing improper speed readings, of which I have not noticed. I would assume angle sensor and some of the modules could be somewhat checked with and Ohm meter.

Does anyone know the Ohm readings for a new angle sensor pin to pin?

I would like for anyone who has had problems with their ATV's Electric Shift to post what was done to fix the problem and how it was determined.

Happy Hunting

Old 09-21-2002, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

I have had soooo many problems with my 2000 rancher ES it is sickening, Mine started out like yours. It would quit shifting and I would just turn it off and back on and everything would be fine, but now it is stuck It will only let me shift From "N" to "1" and to "R" but it is actually in 4th gear when it is in "N" and 5th when it is in "1" and 3rd when it is in "R"...... I have got it tore down to nothing and cannot find any physical problems yet.

Please let me know what you find out on yours if you find anything out....

Thanks,

Bigtom0029@cs.com

Old 09-21-2002, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy has a Foreman ES and has been fighting with that shifting and computer thing since day one. It freezes up on him and he has to stop, turn it off and then on again, wait for the computer to boot up, then take off. It is a royal pain in the butt. But like so many other morons, he thinks his Honda is the greatest. The other thing that is kinda funny about his Foreman is following him down the trail. He rides pretty good, but you should see that Honda rear end bounce on down the trail. That Foreman rear suspension has to be the worst. I have followed him on Sportsmans and for the last year, on my DS, watching him bounce, then I just pass him. He used to be the fastest guy in our bunch, back when we were riding Polaris 325's. He used to roost us, now he can't even keep up with us. We don't mind waiting for him, but he's kinda bummed he's not the big dog anymore..He was thinking about a Rincon, but without a low range and engine braking there's no way he'd like it. He needs a new quad bad, but I really don't know what would work for him, he doesn't like the Rubicon either. Maybe Suzuki will have a new big bore Utility this week.

Old 09-21-2002, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

I have a freind with and 01 rancher and he was having the same problem at the begining of the year...He took it to the dealer and it ended up being a bad speed sensor.. The part was $80 and they charged $120 to put it on..It might be worth giving it a look....

Old 09-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the Rancher in last week and picked it up today. The problem turned out to be a sensor in the front of the motor. I had looked for it but never saw it because it's covered by a thick metal guard.

The part number on the bill, is not clear, but it's something like
38800H85-F11 and cost $55.55 and they charged $60.00 to replace it.

The mechanic said the metal guard had taken a hard hit and was bent onto the sensor, breaking it. (I have a 15 year old son)He said the sensor at your lower left foot should be replaced if you notice speed problems and the sensor up front if there are shifting problems. If the sensor up front was not so hard to get to I would post the Ohm readings for it. Maybe this posting will help someone fix their ATV and they can record the Ohm readings before they put it on and post them.

When I got home I check the fence, and seamed to be good as new.