Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a problem with my 2001 Rancher ES 4x4 and could use some help. The other day while riding the oil plug came loose and feel out while on the trail. The bike stalled and I did not know why so I hit the started and it fired right back up, I went about 10 yards and it died again. At this point I I began looking it over to what the problem was, it was then I noted the plug was gone. When the oil fill plug was pulled I had some white smoke come out. We towed it back to the truck and replaced the plug and refilled the bike. When started it made a slight tapping noise in the motor and gave off a cloud of blue smoke. We let it run for 10 minutes and the noise went away and it quit smoking. The oil was rechecked and seemed fine. We restarted it with NO problem and no smoke or noise. It was ridden for a few hours and the oil was checked several time and it did not run low and there was no noise. After we trailer the bike home I started it to pull if off the trailer and got a big puff of blue smoke and it was burning a little oil. When I listened I could hear a tapping in the motor that did not seem to change much when reved. It is not real loud but you can hear it in the "center area" of the motor. I am planning on tearing it down and order the service manual. What should I be looking for and what maybe the problem. Is there anything I should be looking for and any "secrets" to this motor and machine. I have never tore one down before so I am figuring a Lot of time for the project and a VERY careful tear down. Thank you for the help!!