Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Snap out of it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen Wyo!

I can remember hearing/reading that Honda will never/ever make another 2 stroke anything (Weedeater/lawnmower/atv/boat and I'm sure motorcycle is in there somewhere too)

Guess that makes my antique the only Honda I will ever own, 'cause I can't live without gobs of Horsepower!

Old 09-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

it's just natural progression that things change.
imagine a car company(company A) designing a car and it sells well.do you really think if they continue with
that same design that they will have the same sales figures as they had when it was first introduced?
meanwhile car company B makes a car roughly the same in style but has more power,better ride,more features,etc.i think it's safe to assume that the consumer will choose car company B.bottom line is that the consumer wants the most for their money.to build something and not improve apon it
is pure arrogance.

Old 09-20-2002, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

WYO: I have yet to come across a dune i cant climb. I have never gotten stuck because of lack of power only human erorr. Then again my bike is moded. A stock 400 may have problems sure.

My whole point about banshees is that the majority of the banshee owners i have come across seem to think that they are so much better then anyone else because they go fast. Of course 90% of the banshees out there will beat me. Fact of life. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. Put me on the trails and it is game over for the banshee. I just think people need to accept that the 400EX will always be a contendor. Even if it is 2 seconds behiind a 400Z or Raptor. It will always be a great bike.

Old 09-20-2002, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Prang11, I will not argue that a 400ex can be built to climb any dune there is; I know it's possible. But, the power needed to climb the tough dunes is a LOT more than stock and requires big bore kits and other internal engine mods. I haven't had the pleasure of riding the Oregon dunes yet and I know there are some tough hill climbs there but nothing like the monsters in Idaho from what I've seen. Look on my site at the videos from St. Anthony where the Raptors and Bombardiers can't climb Chokecherry hill... The 400ex there didn't even make it a fraction of the way up but it was just piped from what I could tell. Even later in the year when the hill was a lot less steep a piped 400ex that was riding with us couldn't make it (Z400s do though). It's all on video, I'm not making any of this up.

Also I never agreed with the "put me on the trails and it's game over for Banshees" statement. Why would a quad with so much less HP be so much faster through the trails??? Handling? Do you really believe that there is enough of a handling advantage of the 400ex to make up for the HP advantage of a Banshee given equal riders??? My belief is that 95% of the quad riders are recreational riders who do not desire and/or are not able to push their quads to the limit of their handling. But show me a rider who doesn't regularly use max HP.... Still, I agree the 400ex is better suited for a trail machine than the Banshee by far but that doesn't make a Banshee slow in the trails.

Anyway, I agree the 400ex is a nice machine for what it is but it's day has come and gone. It has been surpassed by many other machines since it's introduction.

Old 09-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Snap out of it ay? I think I'll just keep snappin it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

well I called it I said a while back the as long as the EX was selling well they would not build a replacement. To bad.

Old 09-21-2002, 05:43 AM
Pro Rider

WYO: I must say nice web site. Many videos. It will take me many days to DL them all because of dumb 56K.

I just want people to realize that the 400EX will always be a great bike. Another thing. I have been trying to go on a riding trip to Idaho for 2 years now. I heard really good things about your riding areas. Maybe if i ever get a chance to make it out there you can go for a day ride and show me around. I want to see what idaho has to offer. From what i have been told all my life oregon has the highest standing sand dunes in the country. This may not be true so dont rip me apart but it is what i have heard froma few sources and so far no one has disagreed. Maybe i am full of Sh*t i dont know. But if i ever get a chance to come ride in Idaho i want to see the best places. Any ideas? What is the best time of year to go? Rainy alot or sunny? I am usto the rain at the dunes. Oregon BUH..

Allright well had fun..

Old 09-21-2002, 05:51 AM
Pro Rider

WYO: Chokecherry hill must be soft as sh*t because from the videos it dosnt look to steep. Soft sand and long climb is that the challange? I must say it looks nice? How many miles of riding are in that area?

Old 09-21-2002, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

Why would you buy a 400EX when you can buy the Z400 or the KFX400? These two machines have addressed the EX's problems and fixed it. They are 400cc's, liquid cooled, and have reverse. I remember many people saying that this is what should happen to the 400EX. The 400EX is no longer the benchmark of all ATV's. It had it's time and now there's better machines on the market. Why stick with an inferior ride? That's like me buying a Geo Metro and complaining that it doesn't have four wheel drive and a V8. If you want it and someone offers it go out and buy it!! Who cares who makes it. My next ride is going to be a cannondale and WILL NOT be a HONDA. I'm done with brand loyalty. Everybody else is giving us what we want EXCEPT HONDA.

Old 09-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Prang11, thanks for the compliment on my site - I try.

Chokesherry is long and soft. In the early part of the year it is steeper and through the summer it gets chopped in and less steep. I don't believe it is the steepest hill there but it is the longest and softest and that is where the challenge is. The hill starts with a mild slobe, and gets steeper as you go up.

St. A is an awesome place to ride... I think the acreage is around 35000 on the part that most people ride. It is a 15 mile ride from the camp (Sand DUnes Resort) to Devil's dune each way.

I want to make a trip to Oregon dunes and you want to come to St. A. I live 530 miles from St. A but still I go twice a year; Oregon is about 1250 miles for me.

Quick Reply: Snap out of it!