Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

BEST AFTERMARKET AIR FILTER FOR HONDA 300EX?

Old 01-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST AFTERMARKET AIR FILTER FOR HONDA 300EX?

WHICH FILTER OFFERS THE BEST IMPROVEMENT IN ACCELERATION AND PERFORMANCE?

K&N OR UNI?

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE K&N REPLACEMENT FILTER AND K&N FULL POWER KIT? WHAT IS THE PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE?

Old 01-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are great filters, each has advantages over the other. If you ride a lot of dusty, dirt trails, the K&N will tend to let fine particles by, but you can install an outerwears. Sand is where the K&N is best,the larger particles are easy for it to catch, and it flows a lot of air. Uni filters flow well, also, and are much better at catching the fine dust you get on trail riding, plus with a good quality filter oil, will even repel a little water. Maintenence wise, it take longer to service a K&N, it has to be cleaned, rinsed, and left to air dry, you have to be more careful not to damage the gauze layers it is made of. Foam filters can be dipped or sprayed with cleaners, rinsed, rung out and dried faster, and oiling is easy,spray or soak, then wring it out,and you are ready to go. Having 2 K&N filters,one always ready to use, would make it a lot handier,so the final decision is up to you. With an outerwear, the K&N will flow best,and still be protected, but a quality aftermarket foam flows better than stock, and is a lot easier to maintain. If you pay attention to maintenence, it is hard to go wrong with either. The only big difference is price, you will tend to pay a bit more for the K&N.
The full power kit is the K&N filter and a jet/needle kit, made to get the most out of the flow characteristics of the K&N filter. Together, it makes a noticeable difference, as you will need to rejet due to the extra flow of the K&N anyway.

Old 01-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the K&N for years on the 300, and the White Bros before that. The thing about the K&N and WB is that they doesn't use that silly metal screen insert (actually a spark arrestor to prevent a fire if it backfires into the carburator--a liability issue with Honda). That insert is incredibly restrictive. One thing about these filters is they fit on the OUTSIDE of the plastic inlet in the airbox. Don't tighten the band holding the filter to tightly, because it will eventually dimple the inlet and let dirty air pass through!!

Old 01-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

Really depends on the riding you do. I perfer UNI for the riding I do (Trails, dusty conditions///K&N great for sand). Check out UNI's website and K&N's to figure out which one you like. I love my UNI and never have had any problems with it. Just my two cents.

Old 01-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have a KN with outerware on my 300, it did make a big difference. I would definitely get the outerware with it.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

I had a K&N on my 300EX and when I took it off and ran my finger around the intake boot I would scrape away dirt that means it was sucking in dirt. I switched to UNI and everytime I take it off it's clean on the inside of the intake. I like UNI a lot better after that experience