Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda CR500!!

Old 01-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda CR500!!

I think what has been not mentioned yet is that the CR500 (especially the 85-86 models) didn't need a power valve. They made awesome power everywhere. That having been said, I think it is a waste of time putting that powerful of a motor in that particular quad. EVERYTHING on the frame will have to be modified. A-arms, shocks, swingarm length (especially the swingarm length) to even make it handle correctly. You'd be better off buying an new frame and putting the motor in it.

Old 01-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Honda CR500!!

I agree, those motors put out too much power, an the hole frame, a-arms............. couldn't handle it. But don't think it hasn't been done, it is doable!

I have a mag with a 500R trike! very cool looking, but a lot of money!

Old 01-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda CR500!!

if he really wants that 500R engine he should just buy a newer KX500 engine i say about 96 to 00 if u can find one u guys are full of it all u guys do is tell him to buy ur kind of quad hes not askin that hes asking a question not what his next quad should be help someone out instead of giving him all kinds of other questions to answer i dont even own a 500 i'd kill myself and im serios but i know from the power and cuz my uncle and I have discussed building a such quad im only 15 and hes about 22 and so far we have come up with the KX500 Engine is seems best suitable and plus a newer year cuz of the counter balance

Old 01-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda CR500!!

oh and the frame we were gonna use was a tecate 250 year '87 so if he uses the 400EX it will be alot stronger and stable so if ur serios about it go for it u never know u might have a really popular set up and such and it may end up being a future factory built quad even tho eevryone seems to be heading away from 2 Strokes you never know just look how much the quad industry has change in the past year

Old 01-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda CR500!!

Thanks man!

I am going for the CR500. I don't know about the KX500. Is it the same motor? I want to stick with Honda only...

Does any of the CR500 motors have a counter balancer? If not, I am going to get the crank balanced. It shouldn't be too bad. Plus I making custom mounts with hardened rubber plus adding a rubber mount to my steering column. I want the power, I NEED the power. I am tired of all these kids on Banshees and 250Rs smoking my poor little 400EX. I will be VERY popular when everyone sees my quad. It will be much talked about in Glamis and Pismo Beach. I will be very proud.

Thanks again....

Old 01-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Honda CR500!!

ghawkman,

Remember the old saying:

Power corrupts, but absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This means that if and when you get it built, you may like it so much that you may never be able go back to a stock quad.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Honda CR500!!

I dont see it as us giving him a hard time and trying to get him to lean to "our personal bikes". I have owned a CR500 in a honda frame, it sucked! Yes they are fast, but so is a 425cc 250r based motor, and you have all the benefits of a 250r, and the power (if not more) then a CR500. Chill out kid

Old 01-29-2003, 08:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Honda CR500!!

Just remember this post when your hands are numb from the vibration. No amount of rubber(within reason) is going to stop the vibro's... Good luck though!

RoostKing..

Old 01-29-2003, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda CR500!!

ok beech u r doing what u say u aren't hes askin for advice on a certain bike your leading him away from him stick to the topic and as for numb hands my hands were unmb everytime after riding n e ways from ramping and riding hard so if the virbrating is gonna do that forget it just go for it they are gonna get numb either way so oh well and if i am curupt oh well it happens to all of us at one time or another soonetr or later so why not be sooner while ur young and still have time to be crazy i know my whole riding click is curupt with ultimate speed and we seem better off sure more crashes but if ur good and know how to crash as they say there is a style to it then your gonna come out alive and i've fracture my hip crushed a vertabrate broke both bones in my right wrist and shattered the head light with my face and i will still ride cuz i got the style down

Old 01-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Honda CR500!!

Dude, punctuation and grammar homie. I couldnt take it, i had to stop reading and show my 10 year old brother. Hell he even knows how to spell corrupt! how old you be slick? I was just sharing my experiences with the CR500. I dont want him to have to sell the bike because of something he didnt know about (IE the vibration, the broken motor mounts, cracking the frame, rear kick start, extremely hard to start, has to cut the rear fenders to get it to kick back, ect ect ect). Should i praise him and say "Ohhhh wonderful choice your going to be extremely happy" when i know there is a better option out there for him? He!! fu*king no. If he disreguards what information some of us have shared on this subject then that is his deal, but at least we told him of the pro's and con's of building a CR500. Schools out little boy, i suggest you taking night classes. Maybe punctuation and grammer 101. And all those broken bones and whatever else you did obviously shows you dont have style. Maybe falling on yo azz doing a no footer can-can with a triple nuck nuck is style to you, but if you dont know what you be doing thats just called plain stupid boy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda CR500!!