Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Highlifter Honda Disc Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highlifter Honda Disc Brake Kit

We just put one of these in my friend's Rubi. Unbelievable difference. Went from having zero front brakes to having great front brakes. $384 or whatever it was, it was completely worth it, especially for anyone that frequents the mud. Pretty easy installation too. Only problem we had was getting the new studs pressed into the hubs, and he had to take it someplace to have that done. As far as installing it on the quad, that was a breeze. Had to turn the brake line fasteners around a little to get some more slack, but the whole thing looks completely stock. Like it should have looked from the factory if Honda had any sense.

For anyone with a 4x4 Honda that has had a lot of front brake trouble, if you don't mind dropping a few $$$, this is highly reccomended.

Old 03-25-2003, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help installing the kit Andy. My bike now has exellent brakes and it's worth the money. My rubi will now lock the brakes up with 27" claws going 45mph on a dirt road, I could not do this before. I pull the brake lever back half an inch and I have good stopping power and the harder you squeeze the brakes, the better braking power you have. If you have trouble stopping your honda 4x4 this kit is definetly for you.

Old 03-25-2003, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

There's somef people on here that think Honda brakes work just fine??? Course they also like solid axle for off-road use??? Andy, how well does your 660 work with stabiler disconected??? I kinda wished Yam had used that sus on the new 450, Oh well the Outlander will look good in my garage.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

I have been pretty happy with a solid axle. Even the 650 Prarie has a solid axle. I just think there is less parts and that equals a simple fix. I also like that they keep the rear flat when you are in high speed rough corners. Everyone has a preference I guess. Honda has always been weak in the brake department.

Old 03-26-2003, 04:09 AM
Pro Rider

The honda drums work ok if you are not a hardcore mudder, but I like the mud. I had to get brakes that would hold up under my severe riding conditions.

Old 03-26-2003, 04:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Works a lot better without the stabilizer. I took it off in August 2001, and can't find any reason to put it back on. No advserse effects that I know of. Rides pretty much the same I think, only now it actually has independant articulation like all of the other IRS quads do. It was worthless in stock form.

On the straight axle subject, "Even the Prarie 650 is solid axle"? Dude, thats the norm. Its not like thats something everyone is suddenly switching to. One thing I never have figured out here. The SP500 won shootouts primarily on its independant suspension for years when it was the only one of its kind. They downgraded the difference between its IRS and the swingarms on the Grizzly 600's and Foremans and Prairie 400's and all that jazz. Now that Yamaha, Honda, and Arctic Cat come out with an IRS quad, suddenly the age old swingarm is the most stable and comfortable thing in the world. When did this happen??? I know one thing that would solve it all. If Kawasaki would get off their *** and put out an IRS quad, everyone would finally shut up about that issue because each manufacturer would have one.

Also, I agree with you on the 450 Kodiak. They should have put that suspension under it. I think the reason they didn't is cause it would become their biggest selling quad at a lower price than the 660. Kind of like how Polaris probably sells a lot more SP400's and 500's instead of 600's and 700's. But not 335's of course, cause that was a bad idea from the start.

And last, drum brakes work good if you keep them dry and clean at all times. One good mud run ruined my 300 for life. If I had a honda 4x4 that I planned on keeping for a while, I'd have to put the Wilwood's on it.