Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

ATV Stealth vs Benz Silent Rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Stealth vs Benz Silent Rider

Swizzler,
Man, that was one fast response!!! Thanks for the info. I'll try some of the RV dealers around here tomorrow. The pipe sticking out of my Bombardier Quest 650 has an O.D. of 1.25" and the inlet to the car muffler I bought has an I.D. of 1.5" and an O.D. of 1.625". I figured maybe I could find a reducer to go between the two and just clamp the flex pipe to the stock muffler so as not to permanently alter the stock equipment. Think that will work?

Old 06-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: KodiakOwner
My point? I'll just keep my bike the way it is, not put on a aftermarket silencer that the dealer wont cover on warranty if it F*cks something up with the backpressure difference?
KodiakOwner:

Your comment got me to wondering about this so I checked with the lady that does the warranty claim work at our dealership. She advised me the warranty would not be voided by an additional muffler as described in Swizzler's post. Her reasoning was that since there would be no or minimal change in backpressure it would be considered nonsignifigant. I intend to go ahead with this extra muffler on my Prairie and also try it on our Swisher pull behind mower.

I agree with you about protecting the warranty on new equipment, any mods I have done are of the non-invasive type.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I finished this muffler addition today and I must say it really works great!! There is no more noise from the exhaust, however the intake makes some noise and there is noise coming from the engine area, of course. I opened up my intake a little and reduced the noise there and put a little insulating material between the engine and side panels and that seems to have helped too. All-in-all I think I spent about $35 on this project. Inexpensive and effective....thanks for the idea and help, guys.

Later Edit: Midas Muffler Part # AZ89328 $24.95

Old 06-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, the engine noise is really something isn't it? When my 500HO is under a hard pull like going up long steep trails it makes all kinds of noise.

What kind of insulation did you pack around your engine?

Old 06-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, what I used is not really for sound insulation. I'm not sure what it's for (I just had some in the garage), but it looks like bubble wrap layered inside of aluminum foil. I'm sure there are a lot of materials that would work better, but I just stuck some of this stuff in temporarily to see if it would make any difference and it did.

If you could get ahold of some of the sound deadening material used on the firewalls of vehicles, that would probably be a heck of a lot better.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you have any pics of this? am considering some sort of silencer and was interested i \n your idea. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Swizzler
Well, I finally got around to putting one on my own ATV and I <u>LOVE</u> it. Like I mentioned in my post above, I used a tiny car muffler that is not a straight-through flow but a baffled one. It installs easily and is almost out of sight when looking at the ATV from the rear. Painted everything hi-temp flat black and it looks good. I'd post some pics but I don't have a camera that works.

The only thing that you can hear is the valves. And they're pretty loud.

I have tested it over and over again and I don't notice any change in preformance. If anything there may be a little bit better mid-range power. But it may be just my imagination.

I would highly recommend a home-brew silencer upgrade like this to everyone. Even you Kodiakowner. Although a loud exhaust is probably necessary to overpower your mouth.
Can you text pics from your phone, do you have the brand and model of the muffler? If so PM me and I will send my number to text info to. Thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 06:12 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul V Mitchell
Do you have any pics of this? am considering some sort of silencer and was interested i \n your idea. Thanks.
Originally Posted by HMT Racing
Can you text pics from your phone, do you have the brand and model of the muffler? If so PM me and I will send my number to text info to. Thanks

you guy's do realize this thread is almost 8 years old, right?
the op posted in feb 04 and has not logged back in since 2005!

that's some grave digging right there!

-

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
you guy's do realize this thread is almost 8 years old, right?
the op posted in feb 04 and has not logged back in since 2005!

that's some grave digging right there!

-
Yea but it never hurts to try. Gotta try sometimes

Old 09-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Swizzler
About a year ago I helped my neighbor put a second muffler on his Sportsman 500 HO. We went to a Midas muffler shop and purchased a baffled (not straight through) muffler for a small car. It measured 14" long, 6.5" wide, and 3" tall. It had 1.5" inlet and outlet connections. We removed his stock muffler/spark arrestor and modified the 1" outlet tube to accept a piece of 1.5" steel flex pipe by welding a steel 1"x1.5" tubing fitting to the muffler. The steel flex slipped over this adaptor perfectly. We used a 1.5" muffler clamp and re-installed the stock muffler. We mounted the new muffler up under the rear deck with steel straps we made by hand. The 1.5" steel flex was bent to form a 90 degree elbow into the new muffler. One more 1.5" muffler clamp at this connection. On the discharge end of the new muffler we added a 90 degree elbow looking down to deflect the hot gasses toward the ground.

Man! It really works great. All you can hear is the valves clicking on the engine. The Polaris engine is notorious for the loud valves. The typical bub-bub-bub-bub sound of the 500 HO is completely gone. The installation only took two hours and was easy. Of course we planned ahead and made sure we had all the right parts before we started. From the rear you can hardly see anything. In fact it looks just like some of the original frame under the rear deck. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a sneaky machine.

I just bought a new ATP 500 HP in October and now that hunting season is over I plan to do the same to mine.

Good luck.

Could you please send me pics of your project?