Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Pull behind mowers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one have any experiance using pull behind mowers. My need is for rough field work.

Old 09-10-2000, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris has them available through their dealers. There is a smooth-cut type and a heavier field mower type for heavy grass, weeds, & brush up to an inch thick. Should hitch to any atv with a hitch & enough power/cooling capacity to handle them. I haven't used one, but my local dealer had one of each on hand & they seemed well built.
Farmr

Old 09-11-2000, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

There have been some very good threads on this in the recent past. You might want to run a search to check them out (try several forums including Utility as well as this one). But a few basic things to keep in mind when looking at mowers:

First, check the hitch very carefully -- it has to fit, not "just be close enough." I bought an industrial strength flail mower (from Alamo) that came with a "universal" hitch. The only thing "universal" about it was that it offered a poor fit in all situations. I spent a couple of months tinkering with the set-up before having a regular ball-type hitch welded on.

Second, an ATV is not a tractor, it is not set up to maintain a continuous speed. While this doesn't eliminate it from field work, it does make it a bit more challenging -- particularly if you have a lot of hills.

Third, don't skimp on the mower. They all look good in the store, but they take a real beating out there in the field. Its amazing how many ruts and bumps you discover in a flat field once you start towing a mower through it.

In a similar sense, try to get big tires. Most of the machines I see have 12" tires and they bounce all over the place. I replaced mine with 18" go-cart tires and run them on low air pressure to smooth out the lumps.

Check out Northern Tool and Equipment -- they carry a number of ATV mowers. Cycle County also offers a couple (check out links from this site). I also liked the looks of the Rhino mowers.

And my tip of the week -- mount a pair of bicycle mirrors out on the front corners of your racks. This will help you keep track of what the mower is doing behind you. The alternative is to swing your head back and forth for hours at a time.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have used an Alamo pull behind flail mower for 20 years and have never had any trouble with it on rough and sloped, bumpy ground.I used to pull it with my ATV and now use a Kawasaki Mule .my atv was a Big Bear SE. and my Mule is the 610 4x4 .
tharmas

Old 01-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

As opposed to a $2500 mower that you will beat the snot out of and won't have the power to take bushes and saplings, buy a cheap used tractor and a bushhog, you won't regret it.