Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Anyone have a Garmin eTrex Legend?

Old 02-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a Garmin eTrex Legend?

I updated my software version without looking to see what it came with. I might have already had the current version. If anyone has a newer Legend. Can you check to see what version of software your Legend came with? I'm just curious.

You go to the main menu page. Click on setup. Click on System. Then click on the little pic of a page in the top right corner next to the X. Then click on "software version".

If you do not have the current version. You can get it on the Garmin site.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

there are probably quite a few out there with different versions, depending on when the dealers picked them up.....i wouldn't worry what you had even if you updated, doesn't really matter...

i have both the Garmin eTrex Vista and eMap....and to let you know, alot of the upgrades you are getting are with problems that I identified to Garmin...not bragging but I have been using Garmin's for a long time and have a good relationship with their engineering staff....so I let them know when something doesn't work or should work better or different.....

Old 02-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

I have the etrex vista. My first GPS. I love it. I need to buythe topomap deals for northern Colorado and Southern Wyoming though. Geez they are expensive.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Elkbow- The top speed has been running really high. It has been saying that the top speed is well over 100 mph. I'm not sure if the new version will take care of this problem. (If I have a new version) I haven't used it since the update to tell if it has been corrected. Have you ever had a problem with the top speed info being incorrect?

Old 02-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

i haven't seen anything about the top speed being off and have no problem with mine, are you sure you haven't encountered any high strength magnetic interference?

Old 02-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: elkbow
i haven't seen anything about the top speed being off and have no problem with mine, are you sure you haven't encountered any high strength magnetic interference?
What kind of things would cause high strength magnetic interference? There are towers about 2 or 3 miles away as the crow flies. The moving speed seemed to be correct.

Old 02-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently bought a refurbished eTrex Legend and the software version is 3.70. That seems a little odd since the Garmin website lists 3.60 as the latest version. I al also having extreme dificulty loading a metroguide map to the unit. The file is about 7Mb and the unit always loses communication after loading only a few percent. I did load a topo map successfully, but it was only 150K.

Is it possible the wrong software version was loaded to my unit during the refurb? I'm a little averse to trying to change the version back to 3.60 since the communication link keeps dropping and I fear the unit might quit altogether if it only partially updates.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I tried to find an email in the Garmin support area, but only saw phone numbers.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
Originally posted by: elkbow
What kind of things would cause high strength magnetic interference? There are towers about 2 or 3 miles away as the crow flies. The moving speed seemed to be correct.
No, it would have to be really close, like within a few feet. I meant something on your quad that you had it placed by, like the engine, etc. Most likely not the problem if everything else is working okay....

You may want to do a master reset on it....can't remember how it is done, it may be in the manual or call garmin tech support....

Old 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

elkbow- I did reset all the readings. So far so good. Right now it says that I have a max speed of 22.6 mph and a moving average of 8.4 mph. This was from my latest ride. I guess I just have to wait and see.

Rocko333- The original Legend has 8 MB internal memory. The file may just be too big with other things already in the unit.

Where did you buy the GPS from? Refurbished?

Old 02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I decided to risk installing the 3.60 firmware and my worst fears were realized - the update failed to install completely and the unit quit working completely. As a last ditch effort I switched to my wife's computer and the firmware update loaded completely and the maps also load with no problem.

Bottom line I suspect my laptop serial port is being pinged by something and killing the Garmin link. Small files will usually transfer before the next ping, but the larger files are always interrupted. Unfortunately the 3.70 firmware was erased so now I'm wondering what I lost. Hopefully nothing of any real value.

By the way I bought this refurbished from an ebay store - they had about 40 units available a couple of weeks ago at a nice price of $140 so I decided to risk it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have a Garmin eTrex Legend?