Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Turkey choke

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turkey choke

I'm looking for a choke (winchoke) to give me tight patterns with 3" 1 5/8 oz. BB LEAD shot from my winchester 1300. Is the extra-full turkey choke a good choice? Where can I buy one that ships to canada? I saw some online but it said it was designed for #4 and smaller shot. I have 2 chokes for it now mod. and cyl. these are a few I was looking at on cabela's web site carlson's super full turkey
carlson's hevi-shot dead coyote choke

Old 03-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Turkey choke

I just talked to customer service at cabelas and they DO NOT ship shotgun chokes to Canada! or reloading supplies such as wads, Must be because Canada is a "Haven for terrorist" LOL. Now I have to look elsewhere oh well.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default Turkey choke

I have Carlson's ext & Ported Turkey Choke. It throws a great pattern out of my Winchester 1300. I shoot Winchester Supreme High Velocity #5's out of my gun. Because it constricts the pattern size down so much you may have to add a set of adjustable fiber optics to your gun to make sure your pattern is zero'd in with your sight. You can pick up a set of turkey taker fiber optics at wally world for about 15 bucks. Or you could but a really nice Tru-Glo set for around 50. I have both types and I must say that it is worth the extrra$$ for the Tru-Glo Magnum Gobble Dots.

One thing about patterning a gun with a turkey choke. Each gun will shoot differently with a the same choke. You just have to find the right combination of choke and ammunition. Once you buy your choke try a few different types of ammo's out of it and see what patterns best. Winchester #5's pattern best for me, but #6's may pattern best for you.

Good luck and hunt safe!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Range Rover
Default Turkey choke

thanks for the input. I just contacted Carlson's web site and they don't ship to Canada either! they gave me 2 phone numbers one in Alberta and the other in Quebec.
I am interested in shooting bigger shot than #5 I want to shoot BB size shot or #2, anyone tried BB or #2 out of these chokes?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Turkey choke

Originally posted by: vinny04
thanks for the input. I just contacted Carlson's web site and they don't ship to Canada either! they gave me 2 phone numbers one in Alberta and the other in Quebec.
I am interested in shooting bigger shot than #5 I want to shoot BB size shot or #2, anyone tried BB or #2 out of these chokes?

Just currious why such a large shot size? The biggest I have heard of guys using for turkey is #4's. Have you thought about using a #4 or #5 in those High Density round that winchester and remington make. You get the heavier load and more bb's in your pattern...best of both worlds.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Range Rover
Default Turkey choke

Just currious why such a large shot size? The biggest I have heard of guys using for turkey is #4's. Have you thought about using a #4 or #5 in those High Density round that winchester and remington make. You get the heavier load and more bb's in your pattern...best of both worlds.
We don't have any Turkeys here in Newfoundland. I wish we did though looks like it would be nice to hunt them from what I have seen on tv. Are they really that hard to get as they make it look on tv?
I need bigger shot for the critters I'm after. I have used 3" Winchester Double X magnum copper plated turkey #4, a very good shell IMO. But I perfer the Challenger super Magnum 3" BB for my purpose.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Turkey choke

Originally posted by: vinny04
We don't have any Turkeys here in Newfoundland. I wish we did though looks like it would be nice to hunt them from what I have seen on tv. Are they really that hard to get as they make it look on tv?
I need bigger shot for the critters I'm after. I have used 3" Winchester Double X magnum copper plated turkey #4, a very good shell IMO. But I perfer the Challenger super Magnum 3" BB for my purpose.
Oh ok, I got you. I thought you were traveling somewhere and hunting them. I would make sure and ask carlson if you can use that size shot through their turkey choke before I purchased it. I would think it would be fine, but its better safe than sorry.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Range Rover
Default Turkey choke

I was just talking to Bass Pro shop and they will send Chokes to Canada. No one will ship wads for reloading they said it's a restricted item?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Turkey choke

Probably considered an ammunition component therefore it can't be shipped internationally.

The very thought of those little pieces of of plastic shot gun wad being sent through the mail would cause your average bureaucrat or sniveling nannyist to have kittens. The thought that someone could assemble their own ammunition without state scrutiny is the stuff of their nightmares.