Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Best ATV for farm/ranch work?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV for farm/ranch work?

Get a Sportsman 800 Best quad for pulling quad. They say it can pull up to 1500lb its weight is 770lb on the front rack you can put 100lb and on the back you can put 200lb

Old 05-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Trailblazer

I would recomend honda. My grand parents bought a 1993 300 fourtraxx new and the only thing to go wrong to this day was a broken break cable. I rode the fire out of it and so did the other grand children.I know alot of real life down to earth hard working people who have hondas and will never look back. Now with that said if you want something that is tough and easy to maintain what ever brand you buy stay away from belts and get something with gears. Thats self exclamatory.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the "No" belts.....

Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

For your particular application I'd recommend checking out the new Honda Foreman 500 (electric shift) with power assisted steering...

Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

If you are planning on using this machine for light trailer pulling, and yes I know people pull "super heavy" trailers with their quads, chasing cows and checking fence type duties you might be better off with a small tractor. We use quads a lot around the place and they are a useful and valuable asset to day to day operations. They will not, any of them, do the work of a small tractor when it comes to moving heavy loads. The quads will not stop a load they are capable of pulling and it is easy to get in trouble. A small tractor has the capability of using a front loader, post hole digger and all manner of implements that a quad can only play at. If, however, you need a machine to travel quickly from on part of the acreage to another, as when irrigating or such, a quad is quicker and a much better ride. We use the Kawasaki Prairie 360 4WD as we do not intend to try to make a tractor of the machine and it is reasonably fast and nimble.

I would suggest you make an objective list of the work you are going to be doing and asses the capability of a quad VS tractor for your needs.

One really big thing the quads have going for them is they are lots of fun to use. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

A good point to make. For farm use, the pulling power of an ATV is a bit anemic. It's a glorified dirt bike, not a tractor. I haul firewood with mine, but beyond that and using the winch to stretch fence wire, it's pretty much just a way to move me and some tools around. It's heavy carrying and pulling abilities pale in comparison to even a small farm tractor like my JD 1050.

OTOH, if you have a particularly rough farm like much of mine, a quad is a much better transporter. The ATV doesn't roll nearly as quickly as a tractor will, and the consequences aren't nearly as serious. If you think a 700 pound quad rolling over is hairy, try an 8,000 pound tractor. It won't just kill you, it'll bury you.

And, okay, they're a lot more fun than a tractor.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

An ATV isn't a tractor and all of the gizmos hooked to the back won't make it into one. Those overpriced gizmos can be handy no doubt, but it ain't no tractor.

Trying to run the tractor around all day to do chores you can do faster and more efficiently on an ATV doesn't make a lot of sense. And like JohnO said ATVs can be operated in areas it where it simply isn't safe to be operating a tractor. Like he said when you roll a tractor it doesn't just kill you it buries you and your neighbors on the volunteer fire department will have to bring shovels to pry your corpse out of the ground.

They are different tools with different strengths and weaknesses. When you try to make one do the other's job you start to have problems. They both are pretty indispensable for those with farms and larger properties.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captain! Right on about the Tractor,I have a Kubota 3000 and there is no comparison.....My Rhino is used for fun and picking up trash on my 8 acres.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Big Bear
Does anything, goes anywhere, never dies.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I own a kawasaki mule 2510 deisel it's a 2000 model and has never been in the shop for anything,I just keep up regular maintainence on it ,It ain't fast but it's a work horse ,haul hay, feed, deer hunters, deerstands, welding machines, you name it !!! it's nearly indestructable big foot kit and 2' lift helps a lot w/ mudlites if your gonna , swamp hunt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best ATV for farm/ranch work?