Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Brush hog for an ATV???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wolv
Swisher makes a good flail mower, I've seen a few in ag stores. The blade is actually 2 pieces that pivot around the output shaft, it gives the blades more inertia for heavy stuff, plus the blades are way heavier than a standard "mower" blade. and the center pivot allows the blade to kick back if it strikes a solid object that would damage or break a solid blade.
Actually a flail mower is something completely different. A flail mower has the flails attached to a horizontal shaft or a drum. They're very different than a rotary mower/bush hog that you're describing. Swisher makes a rotary mower but as far as I know no one makes a flail mower for an ATV.

As an aside last time I looked at a new flail mower for a tractor it ran about 20 grand. Ouch.

As for the Swisher trail cutter and trail mowers I've heard good and bad. The weak spot seems to be the belts and the bearings.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rizzodrum
I work for a residential Builder in a suburb of Detroit. Currently we have an 06 Sportsman 500 that we use to plow snow. With spring here, the weeds on our spec lots seem to grow at an unbearable rate. Currently we are using a JCB with a backblade to grade out the weeds. Although this works, it's very time consuming. Currently we are considering purchasing a brush hog attachment for our sportsman. Does anyone have any recommendations on what brand or type to purchase? I have been searching online and came up with these three:

Brush Mower / Brush Cutter models & pricing - brush mowers | DR Power Equipment

http://www.agri-fab.com/trailmower45_0362.html

http://www.swisherinc.com/44_trailcutter.asp

All three seem like they would be a good fit. However, becasue this brush hog will be used for heavy duty brush cutting, it needs to be a commercial grade. It will not be cutting any brush that is over 1 1/2 - 2" in diameter. Longevity and top quality are defintley a priority. Does anyone have any experience with using one of these three brush hogs? What are the pros and cons? Which one do you recommend for the type of cutting we will be doing?

Thanks for all the help

Rizzo

2000 Highly Modified Warrior

Quadjumps on 8' x 22' wood ramps
see us at www.myspace.com/quadriderfmx
click on pics

Thanks for the links!!!!