Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

.223 caliber rifles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .223 caliber rifles

Besides having a .22 thread started, I thought I would now get your thoughts and opinions on the .223 caliber. I plan on buying one of these rifles in the future. I am looking at the CZ 527, Savage 12FV, Ruger M77 Mark II, M77 Hawkeye, Weatherby Vanguard Stainless, Vanguard Sporter, Vanguard Varmint Special. And maybe checking out the Browning A-Bolt family. What do you guys like, or prefer? I know that the Browning's, and Weatherby's are pretty steep in price, and I don't know if a person should justify spending that amount for a smaller caliber centerfire. Regardless, it is still fun talking rifles, especially with Hunting season approaching! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

I own one Vanguard, in 300 Weatherby Magnum. It is magnificently finished, barrel blued to a mirror black, and you could just about go swimming in the finish on the stock. Is it worth the extra? Only if you appreciate a beautiful rifle.

Just my opinion, but if I were going for something in that range, I'd probably be thinking 22-250. Hotter cartridge, and .223 is getting expensive these days with the shortage. Not as dirt cheap as it once was.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:07 AM
Range Rover

I preffer the .223 over anything. wolf has ammo for them 500 rounds for 100$ at cabelas or just about anywhere on line. I have a H&R single shot in .223 with a leopold gold ring series scope. and shes a nail driver.also have bushmaster A3,This is my baby. here in AZ I shoot almost daily so I've got lots of trigger time and I've got a yugo 59-66 in 7.62x39 its heavy as heck when loaded pretty acurate at distance just loud and heavy. My A3 is best gun ever had.was not cheap,1,150$ but worth it,good brush gun,ranges anything I shoot it at.Mines a 16 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist is standerd on most rifles.
I have a 22-250 and its good round in clear dry weather but rain will tear bullet apart and forget about going thru brush. Round is just too fast. and they are not cheap 30$ plus for 50 rounds. and the shoulder pain is rough. i thought my wife kicked hard. for deer .223 is good round use FMJ rounds nice neat hole clean kill.Heck .223 will go thru Vests with 1/2 inch plates clean. semi auto or bolt is up to u. bolt lot more accurate in my opinion less the recoil but anything can be acurate in right hands. stay with .223 u will be happy

Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dosceola

I preffer the .223 over anything. wolf has ammo for them 500 rounds for 100$ at cabelas or just about anywhere on line. I have a H&R single shot in .223 with a leopold gold ring series scope. and shes a nail driver.also have bushmaster A3,This is my baby. here in AZ I shoot almost daily so I've got lots of trigger time and I've got a yugo 59-66 in 7.62x39 its heavy as heck when loaded pretty acurate at distance just loud and heavy. My A3 is best gun ever had.was not cheap,1,150$ but worth it,good brush gun,ranges anything I shoot it at.Mines a 16 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist is standerd on most rifles.

I have a 22-250 and its good round in clear dry weather but rain will tear bullet apart and forget about going thru brush. Round is just too fast. and they are not cheap 30$ plus for 50 rounds. and the shoulder pain is rough. i thought my wife kicked hard. for deer .223 is good round use FMJ rounds nice neat hole clean kill.Heck .223 will go thru Vests with 1/2 inch plates clean. semi auto or bolt is up to u. bolt lot more accurate in my opinion less the recoil but anything can be acurate in right hands. stay with .223 u will be happy</end quote></div>

That is why my mind is pretty well set on staying with .223 caliber. I won't be hunting deer with it. Just wanted it, in case I would want to try hunting prairie dogs, or larger varmints at longer ranges. I believe I will be staying with bolt action also. I don't foresee myself hunting deer in the future, so I don't need a larger caliber rifle. I hunted deer when I was a teenager a few years, many years ago, and I borrowed one of my older brother's rifles. Namely, a Marlin model # 336 35 Remington. Thank you for your reply.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hammer4

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dosceola

I have a 22-250 and its good round in clear dry weather but rain will tear bullet apart and forget about going thru brush. Round is just too fast. and they are not cheap 30$ plus for 50 rounds. and the shoulder pain is rough. i thought my wife kicked hard. for deer .223 is good round use FMJ rounds nice neat hole clean kill.Heck .223 will go thru Vests with 1/2 inch plates clean. semi auto or bolt is up to u. bolt lot more accurate in my opinion less the recoil but anything can be acurate in right hands. stay with .223 u will be happy</end quote></div>

That is why my mind is pretty well set on staying with .223 caliber. I won't be hunting deer with it. Just wanted it, in case I would want to try hunting prairie dogs, or larger varmints at longer ranges. I believe I will be staying with bolt action also. I don't foresee myself hunting deer in the future, so I don't need a larger caliber rifle. I hunted deer when I was a teenager a few years, many years ago, and I borrowed one of my older brother's rifles. Namely, a Marlin model # 336 35 Remington. Thank you for your reply.[img][/img]</end quote></div>

---Anytime. and I think its still good round for deer.gotta work for them then.gets ya to become one with the rifle...lol use the force luke...lol

Old 09-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....257 Weatherby......

Old 09-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pwillie

.....257 Weatherby......

Care to elaborate? Don't know if I need a caliber that large, since it can be used for deer and medium sized game. Although it could be a tempting choice, due to its popularity of .25 calibers![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JohnO
Just my opinion, but if I were going for something in that range, I'd probably be thinking 22-250. Hotter cartridge, and .223 is getting expensive these days with the shortage. Not as dirt cheap as it once was.</end quote></div>

I agree. I went with the 22-250 for that reason. Faster and flatter then the 223. I went with a Browing A-Bolt Gold Medaltion. It is AWESOME!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 257 is one of the sweetest rounds you can shoot. It was Roy Weatherby's favorite round. I have a 257 in a Ruger No.1 and a 257 in a model 70 Winchester classic with a boss. The Ruger started life as a 25-06 and was punched out by my gunsmith to make it a 257.Roy Weatherby hunted with the 257 in Africa,and killed a Cape Buffalo, he did not recommend doing it with the small round,but he had taken all kinds of game witj it over the years. I am not a fan of Weatherby Rifles,but I do like their ammo. I shoot the Weatherby ammo mfg by Norma. The speed and accuracy of the 257 is awesome, I have killed turkeys(in Texas) at over 200 yds,shooting them in the head.Great all around bullet.

killed geese at 200 yds ,with head shots

Old 09-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Pro Rider

Take a look at the new Savage bolt actions with "Accu-Trigger", They are reasonably priced and are extremely accurate, right out of the box.
http://www.savagearms.com/12fvss.htm

Quick Reply: .223 caliber rifles