Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Hornady Leverevolution 30-30 ammunition.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hornady Leverevolution 30-30 ammunition.

I have a 30-30 Marlin that is very accurate that i mainly use for filling additional deer tags or doe tags and i switched scopes on it so it is time to dial it in again.I have read about the Leverevolution ammo and it sounds like it will at least slightly increase the range of the 30-30,has anyone tried this ammo on Deer and if so how did it work for you?My Marlin equipped with a cheap Tasco was capable of 1" groups at 100 yds from a rest with factory Remington 150 grain loads so if this new Leverevolution is as good as is claimed then i should have a very capable 200 yard deer gun .

Old 07-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of it, but I have a lever action and am very interested in it. I hope someone chimes in who has knowledge of it.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have researched it quite a bit already and it sounds good but real world experiences with it would be even better.The velocities are quite a bit faster and the trajectories are much flatter because of bullet speed and bullet design so it sounds good.I have always limited my shots with a 30-30 because of a lack of energy beyond 150 yards or so but this should be much better.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is the first time I've heard of it. But I have been out of the loop for a while now on the hunting supplies. Keep me posted on your real world experience.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Choose i got lucky and got a deer tag that lasts for six months so i will probably get to find out just how well this Hornady ammo works.Actually i drew a Muzzleloader tag and my additional deer tag here in Oregon so i feel pretty lucky.I will post how it performs.So do you still hunt?

Old 08-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

A lot of the old 30-30 boys around here are swearing by it. They say it's great stuff. They're not ones for change obviously so if thy're singing the praises of a new round it has to be something somewhat special.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Couple of things should be noted about this loading for the 30-30.

First off it is a pointed bullet. Long standing practice has been to avoid a spitzer bullet in tube fed rifles such as most of the lever actions on the market. Traditional thinking has been the pointed bullet can rest against the primer of the cartridge in front of it and the recoil of the rifle may fire the primer with catastrophic results. Perhaps recent studies have belied this tradition but I still will use round or flat nosed bullets in these rifles.

The second point I would like to make is the rather limited differences in the trajectories between this 160 grain bullet verses the 150 and 170 grain loadings it joins. Handloaders, myself included, have used lighter and heavier bullets in the 30-30 for years. It is all a tradeoff of velocity gained and penetration lost or heavier bullet at lower velocity and ability to avoid some brush deflection.

If you choose to shoot a 30-30 then stay within it's limits. Trying to stretch the barrel with special loads can work in specific circumstances but the range gained is going to be minimal. All this is just my opinion but I base it on quite a lot of experience and a hill side that I intend to mine for lead one of these years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

AN IMPORTANT NOTE: From the Hornady web site. A single lot of Leverevolution 30-30 ammo has been recalled due to the possibility of some undercharged cartridges. If you have any of the listed lot in your possession do not shoot it as it may result in a bullet stuck in the barrel. Any rounds fired with an obstruction in the barrel will damage the rifle and may cause injury to the shooter or bystanders. Item number 82730 and LOT NUMBER 3060134. Be sure to go to the Hornady web page and look at these numbers for yourself.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
Choose i got lucky and got a deer tag that lasts for six months so i will probably get to find out just how well this Hornady ammo works.Actually i drew a Muzzleloader tag and my additional deer tag here in Oregon so i feel pretty lucky.I will post how it performs.So do you still hunt?

You better believe I hunt. Every chance I get.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Tencubed-Good point about the traditional bullet choice in a 30-30 being round nosed but it seems like Hornady has addressed that with their "flex tip" bullet.I can tell from your comments that you know your stuff when it comes to firearm choice.I too handload a lot and usually i would just load up some custom loads for my 30-30 but i dont want to go through the time consuming process that i do with other loads so i will rely on the Leverevoultion this time.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
Tencubed-Good point about the traditional bullet choice in a 30-30 being round nosed but it seems like Hornady has addressed that with their "flex tip" bullet. I too handload a lot and usually i would just load up some custom loads for my 30-30 but i dont want to go through the time consuming process that i do with other loads so i will rely on the Leverevoultion this time.
I don't have personal experience with Hornady's flex tip but have used many thousands of their 6MM, .308 and other spire and hollow point bullets. They have always supplied an outstanding product IMO and trust they have in this case as well.

With this said I have been less than impressed with any of the plastic tipped bullets I have tried on the range. All I have tested have been well within the range, about an inch or so at 100 yards, I would consider minimum for hunting ammo. Target accuracy is another thing. I have never found a plastic tip bullet that would do as well as the more traditional bullets in any of my rifles tested. The groups would always open by 25% or more. This may be real nit picking and of concern only to the individual that is interested in long range shooting but the difference is, at least for me, there. The difference probably would not be really noticeable unless shooting varmints at four or five hundred yards. And at those kinds of ranges I doubt if I could hit a flock of circus tents let alone a groundhog with a 30-30. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Still think I'll use a Model 95 Winchester in 30-40 if I want to shoot pointy bullets in a lever action. Again, I must stress this is just my opinion and I'm open to comments and change. But it won't be easy for you to do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hornady Leverevolution 30-30 ammunition.