Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Radio

Anybody put a CB on their quad? I'm thinking about doing this for the upcoming season.

Post a pic of how you mounted it if you've got one.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Range Rover
Default CB Radio

you'd need a waterproof one... or one you can remove easily...

cool thought

Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Range Rover
Default CB Radio

I was thinking about mounting it on the plastic cover on the handlebars. I don't do any extremely deep water crossings so I don't think that would be a problem.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default CB Radio

Get a chatterbox.

http://www.chatterboxusa.com/

Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default CB Radio

We use a set of 4 motorolla talkabout walkie talkies with the hands free microphone/headset. You have to turn the volume up but you can use them while riding. They just do not fit under a helmet very well.

Swampy

Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default CB Radio

I use Motorola DTR 650s. More versatile than FRS, GMRS or CB radios. They're also extremely secure. I have several I use here on the farm and to keep in touch with each other when we're riding or hunting.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default CB Radio

most people just use walkie talkies. if you did put an actual cb on it, I would pick up a small cobra or something. Unless it going to be long range talking, that should be all you would need.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default CB Radio"></title><script src=

Hi, i have mounted a cb radio to my quad, with an external speaker aswel. I have a springer aerial mounted on a rear light bar, and i am very pleased with how well it works. I use it for hunting and keeping in contact with surrounding farmers. \it can be done. I'll post pics when i can.

Russ

Old 02-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, this is an old thread, but let's revisit!

I have been thinking about getting a couple of these for my wife and I. If they work well, i will recommend to friends.

Cobra 75 WX ST Compact CB Radio - $99.95

I have considered handheld motorolas, Rhinos, etc, but I have used all these in the past and have never been impressed with their functionality.

The benfits of using this system to me are:

It's very compact. The entire radio is in the handset. You siumply attach the handset to the power/antenna box and go. Some believe the radio will be less powerful. Not true. All CBs have the same power output. It's the antenna that makes the difference.

You can buy extra Antenna box/power connections for this so the radio can easily be swapped between truck and atv. Easy to secure for theft protection

This will allow me to ake a more challenging trail and keep in touch with my wife while she takes the scenic view.

I think this is better than the hand held motorola and Rhino types because any brand of CB will communicate with any other brand. My buddy has motorolas. Another buddy has the rhinos. Neither can talk to each other.

Anyone else using a CB radio on their atv?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know what you guys are envisioning with a CB on an ATV. Either it would be used when parked or moving. Using it when moving is where it isn't so simple.

Now the Cobra 75 isn't bad for what it is. But you can forget about talking on it while riding because the wind will mess with it too much. And hearing that little speaker? Not gonna be very good at all.

IMO basically you are going to have to go with a regular, conventional unit with a detachable mic and replace it with a good noise cancelling mic to eliminate the wind noise that would play heck on your transmissions with a standard mic or something like the Cobra 75.

And depanding upon where you mounted the unit you would need a a good auxillary external speaker to reliably hear.

Either of the smaller units from some one like Cobra (19), Uniden (510/520) or Midland (1001) would be my choice.

And like crashinmike said "It's the antenna that makes the difference." I can't emphasize this enough.

Additionally the conventional radios can be worked on - as in turn the power up, "peak & tune", Connex boards, etc. depending on the radio.

...............skipland...............skipland.... ...........skipland............

The Burner Base putting the wattage in the cottage. Who's got a copy on the Burner Base out in skipland?

Quick Reply: CB Radio