Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Crossbow or Compound Bow????

Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Crossbow or Compound Bow????

I have shot compound bows for 30 years and was wonder if the one that have went to crossbow[ not for health reasons] would go back to compound bow? I have an bad shoulder BUT love the compound bow.... Just was trying to get some Pros AND Cons if they are any....Thanks in Advance.....

Old 08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I haven't shot a crossbow so take that into consideration with my answer. Everything I've read suggest that a crossbow is better in close as it has the higher pull weight while the compound, because of the arrow length, is better for longer distances. Anybody that has used both can feel free to correct what I've said. I'm also curious.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use both and have been for about 8 years. I have a Parker Buck Hunter compound bow @ 56 lb draw and IBO of about 280 fps. I have a PSE compound bow @ 60 lb draw and IBO of about 285 fps.

I also have a Barnett Quad 400 compound crossbow @ 175 draw and 345 FPS. I also have a Barnett 150 compound crossbow @ 150 lb draw and 260 fps. Then I have a Excalibur Axiom recurve crossbow @ 175 lb draw and 305 fps. And the last is a Ten Point Wicked Ridge compound cross bow @ 180 lb draw and 305 fps.

Pulling a crossbow string might seem hard, but it really isn't. I use a string rope puller that I got from Academy for about $25 and the Wicked Ridge has the accudraw-52 attached to it.

Both compound bows and crossbows shoot about the same distances, but crossbows can go a little farther. If shooting deer, I have a cut off of 30-35 yards for both the compound and the crossbows.

Now if I am hog hunting, I will take a shot with my compound bow at up to 35 yards and the crossbows I will go up to 50 yards with no problem.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good compound bow shooter will whoop on a Xbow any day and any distance! look at ASA 3d scores.

Xbows are great for the eldery and handicapped no doubt.

Xbows are crazy loud! i see them shot all the time!

todays faster compounds are just as fast as most Xbows or for instance PSE Omen i believe 355 IBO...will shoot as fast and as the fastest Xbows.

Xbows will make hunting easier...not for distance but you will have less movement for sure.

To the OP, if you really love compound bows...why not look into a new bow with 50# limbs? at 50# with some of todays bows..you will still get in the 260 fps range with a good smooth draw. 50# will pass through most game...but its all about shot placement.

I will take on any Xbow out to 70M or on the 3d course.

only way a Xbow is hitting dimes at 30 yards is off a bench or with a good rest, them dimes are easily achieved with alot of practice with a compound, but hey im a archery freak..lol

Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shoot both, a jennings stratus compound and a excalibur equinox crossbow ... the big thing is (bragging aside) is at 50 yards I am consistent with the crossbow inside an apple sized target. The compound bow not so much.

Question you have to ask is after 4hrs in the cold, and a few missed opportunities, can you say the same thing with a compound? Perhaps some super men out there will brag they can ... but reality says different ...

You can draw and hold a crossbow all day without wearing down, just take the bolt out and you are as safe as can be, see a deer, just pop the bolt back in and go. A crossbow gives you better capabilities while sitting on the ground (or even prone).

The noise is no more than a thunk, the same as a bow ... believe it or not ... they are the same mechanism, and in fact since the draw is substantially shorter (20" vs 30"), the signature is consequently shorter as well.

Now for the other side, if you stalk, a compound is the way to go, it is shorter than a recurve and narrower than a crossbow making it easier to get around without getting hung up. But if you are using a hide or stand, why go through the hassle, when at the end of the day you are just waiting for a deer and enjoying the quiet time ?