Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

What is the best food plot?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What is the best food plot?

I live here in the south [Alabama] an was wantings some input on what has been your best food plots that have planted for deer? Oaks? clover? peas? wheat? rye? beets? etc....?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 AM
rv
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

up here in north eastern B.C. Canada ! i like peas oats canola sweat clover and alphalpha havnt tried beats yet but will try some this year lap lap is good also but i dont know if it will grow up here !my provblem is that bears also like the peas i did notice the deer eating the peas well after we had snow whitch i thought was nice to see.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deer are funny animals in that they change what they perfer it seems each year based on what it is they need nutrition wise. I have tried many different things but since you are in AL and most of my hunting was in MS Id have to say the deer here are going to be looking for about the same things.
My favorite things to put in a green feild for around here is a mixture of turnips (I prefer purple top white globes), rape, kale, oats, rye, crimson clover, australian winter peas, and wheat.
If you look through a bag of biologic you'll find that they have pretty much put those things in there and just change the ratios around for the different mixes.
One of the things that most people don't do is soil test. This not only makes the plants grow better it also provides better nutrition for the animals that are eating it. You might not think it matters much, but I taught Wildlife Management and in our classes we would plant plots and intentionally not sample and fertilize a side of the plot and you could tell the difference between the side that had been properly prepared and the one that had not. I'm not talking about just in the size of the plants, I mean the number of animals eating from the area in the food plots.
With all that being said, I don't think there is any better food for a deer than a good oak tree that is dropping fat acorns. Deer in the southeast depend on them so much for the fat buildup during early season, so I'd say it is important to also get you some oaks going. I like the sawtooths because they start droping between 5-8 years of age and the acorn crop is extremely heavy. Dad has several in his yard for the squirrels and the deer will cross a major highway and stand between two busy roads to eat the darn things.
Either way, good luck and hope to hear about the old mossy green horn you get.