Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Top 5 ATVs for Hunting

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorHater
Good stuff and thx for your response! All very valid points. One issue I face for both models is availability. They're out there and late models come in at about $5K which is where I want to be at. But a challenge I have and seems to be the same everywhere is youll have to drive to get one! I live in ATL and search often through out the south east states and for both of those models, you'll come across a handful. More of the X2's than the max's. You'll find all the standard Outlanders and Sportsmans you'll ever want though!
I guess the issues I see with X2 is that I'll hardly use the dump part of the back rack maybe, 5 times. So it'll have little use. The Max I could imagine would have the more comfy seat but the X2 has the better design with the seat folding in to the body of the ATV.
I see I can probably answer my own question by whats available at the time I purchase! Damn though, I'm jealous of you all who are more worried about putting gas in one you already own! Thx again we'll see if I end up in a Can Am, the "BMW" of ATV's!
Thx
Rob
Might want to look into towing capabilities. The hunters I know use small trailers. A atv can tow much more than it haul on the racks.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

This is us on our twice a year 4 day fishing trip on fly in fishing lakes. We tow as much as we carry at the same time. Just the beer and ice on the front rack would be considered a load to most ATVs.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
This is us on our twice a year 4 day fishing trip on fly in fishing lakes. We tow as much as we carry at the same time. Just the beer and ice on the front rack would be considered a load to most ATVs.
Looks like a recipe for fun.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jgar
Might want to look into towing capabilities. The hunters I know use small trailers. A atv can tow much more than it haul on the racks.
Good point, thx!.....Also that pick is totally wrong..... I'm not in it.

Make sure you send out invites for the postcard type trips next time!!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Try to get a 2011 and up Max if possible. The older Visco Lok (Can-Am's front locking differential) were slower to engage than the newer model years. Don't remember if anyone talked about that. Newer ones, Visco Lok QE (Quick engagement), are almost as fast as Polaris' system.
Just a quick update, finally pulled the trigger and got the X2. I went to check out a 2012 new X2 at the dealership for $7500. Guy bought it 15 minutes before I got there. It was legit, saw him doing the paper... They offered a red one also 12' at same cost but personally got to have green over red. So tried to walk and said they'd do a 2013 green for $300 more and deliver it to my house Monday which was an hour from that dealership. Anyway I did end up with the maintenance and warranty plans. I get the warranty money back at the end of the 4 year term if I do not use it and figured its an expensive investment so best to protect it. Also the maintenance plan was 60% off the normal cost of bringing it in without. Anyway, the bank owns my *** for the next couple of years but will certainly pay it off well before the terms are up! Long day...

Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorHater
Just a quick update, finally pulled the trigger and got the X2. I went to check out a 2012 new X2 at the dealership for $7500. Guy bought it 15 minutes before I got there. It was legit, saw him doing the paper... They offered a red one also 12' at same cost but personally got to have green over red. So tried to walk and said they'd do a 2013 green for $300 more and deliver it to my house Monday which was an hour from that dealership. Anyway I did end up with the maintenance and warranty plans. I get the warranty money back at the end of the 4 year term if I do not use it and figured its an expensive investment so best to protect it. Also the maintenance plan was 60% off the normal cost of bringing it in without. Anyway, the bank owns my *** for the next couple of years but will certainly pay it off well before the terms are up! Long day...
Congratulations! X2 is the best 4 wheeler out there for utility work, bar none. Not bad on the trails too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Trailblazer

Actually, I want to know which hunting equipment do you use at the time of hunting?

Old 03-13-2016, 08:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
you're not pulling 2 deer, rider & gear out of the woods on a 300 ute.
and even if you managed it- it wouldn't be an experience I'd want to repeat.
I don't understand why people who own the smaller atv's refuse to admit work is easier with larger ute engines.
If I can put my 2 ton truck in gear and pull it across yard with a 300cc ute, why couldn't I pull a couple deer?

I pull a 600lb camping trailer AND a 350lb sport quad behind me, UP the mountain to a campsite with a 300.

If you tied two deer to the back of my quad, I wouldn't know they are there... unless they snag a tree or something... I doubt even a 850 could uproot a tree

Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I can't argue with the chosen machines but I do see some contradiction in the opening statement, They chose not to include UTV's in their findings due to the "higher cost" of such......Every one of the recommended ATV's in that article cost more than my UTV and my machine will haul more than any of the recommended ATV's. Now it may have a smaller motor but towing capacity and hauling capacity is greater then the ATV's. I hate to knit-pick but the article is not really comparing what the headlines state. OK that my two cents worth....anybody got change?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRandy
If I can put my 2 ton truck in gear and pull it across yard with a 300cc ute, why couldn't I pull a couple deer?

I pull a 600lb camping trailer AND a 350lb sport quad behind me, UP the mountain to a campsite with a 300.

If you tied two deer to the back of my quad, I wouldn't know they are there... unless they snag a tree or something... I doubt even a 850 could uproot a tree
I hear ya there...my old Praire 300 4x4 pulled my wifes Honda Civic out of the snow on many occasions when she would get stuck. Heck even pulled my neighbors pickup truck out one year...he still talks about that to this day!

Quick Reply: Top 5 ATVs for Hunting