Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Top 5 ATVs for Hunting

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
JustRandy..... you are very correct in the fact that some areas are best suited for ATV's over a UTV. I was referring to the original statement of the article." best machine for hunting" of course each machine has its own set of benefits. I had ATV's before I moved into a UTV and I had a lot of fun with them. The difference on my atv and my current UTV in width is 7-8" wider for the UTV. Now yes they make much wider ones today but that is one of the reasons I chose the one I have to still be able to travel on ATV trails. I don't totally understand why they are making ATV's so darn big now, they are only 48" wide at the wheels but look how far the plastic hangs over, I have seen some that are as wide as my UTV in total overall width. I know many of the ATV's in the article are really big, tall and heavy and can't be that easy to ride being that top heavy as other posters have mentioned. Not trying to bash ATV's..heck no...just didn't care for the way the article was made to make people believe that only bigger is better.
I agree and it bugs me in general that people think they need a big 4x4 to go hunting. In the mtns here, mass is a handicap.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
The property my brothers own borders on a swamp so the ideal hunting 4x4 for one of them was a Sportsman High Lifter 850. He didn't think he needed a 1000 which costs a lot more but has power steering. My other brother hasn't bought any ATV as far as I know. His ideal ATV is one he can borrow. If they got a UTV for hunting it would probably be a Ranger High Lifter.
Yeah, I think it's what works best in each location. For the snow, a snowmobile could be the best option. On the lake, a boat is good for hunting fish.

A vehicle that can go on land and sea is not good at either, so a true all-terrain vehicle wouldn't be the best at any one thing. A specialized vehicle for every terrain is the way to go.