Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Ruger Compact Rifle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I just saw a picture of the new Ruger. It looks really good! I am a big fan of Ruger also. I have a 10/22, M77 22-250 and an M77 25.06. What do ya'll think though? I had a compact 270, and it kicked like there is no tomorrow! But, I enjoy shooting the 22.250 caliber.. It's fast, quick, and packs no punch. This gun would be used to mainly pig and deer hunt, with occasional LONG shots at crows. What do you think?

Old 10-16-2001, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

i have yet to see the new ruger but i share the same love of the brand. in fact, i own four rugers a red label, a super blackhawk, a 10/22, and new mini 14. as for the 22-250, i prefer the 220 swift in my remington 700 vs. so far i've taken a coyote, an axis doe, an armadillo, a few buzzards, countless crows, a cat, and a dove at 100 yds. i like the long range accuracy, explosive characteristics of the 50 gr v-max, and the virtually nonexistant recoil plus when outfitted with the 6.5-20 target scope and the harris bipod...it looks cool.

texascat

Old 10-16-2001, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

This is mainly what I use my 250 for. It has taken out a few buzzards, as well as deer in its day.

I like the 250 for the exact reason you like the 220. No recoil, good velocity, great caliber, so on and so on... Mine soprts a Tasco 4x16 on it. That scope is by far the best I've looked through.(except a Leupold 9x20)

I love my 22/45 MKII. It has a streampoint laser on it.. talk about fun! We USED to have alot of skunks and armadillos around.. Until I got that thing. The 22 and the laser have killed soooo many varmints its unreal!

Old 10-17-2001, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

What is the new Ruger rifle? What type action and caliber is it? I love Rugers also and I got interested when I saw your post but I can't seem to find any info about a new rifle. Are you maybe talking about the Deerfield .44 mag? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2001, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

I just purchased a Ruger Compact in .243. What a nice rifle! I made a mistake and purchased a Burris compact scope. The rings are too far apart for the scope. I guess you could get a set of rings to fix the problem but I returned the scope. It's still a full size "short" action.

Old 10-18-2001, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer

That 243 is no slug gun! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Do you hunt out of state, or are you going to hunt varmints with it?

Old 10-19-2001, 06:20 AM
Trailblazer

I have a .308 and thought a .243 would be a nice deer/varmint rifle. I hunt in MO but usually only with a bow for deer. Varmints are another story!

Old 10-19-2001, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Remington BDL 243.. I really like it, but I love the Mauser style action that Ruger uses. The only thing I like more on the Remington is how you take the bolt out.. Other than that, the SS/Synthetic Rugers are my favorite guns!!

You who have the new compacts, are they heavy? Have you shot anything with them yet? Can you notice more/less recoil than a standard size rufle? Thanks,

Old 10-22-2001, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a M77 SS\Synthetic 300 Win. Mag. on Friday, it was the old style stock. The new stock looks more like a Remington. I put a 3x9x40 Elite 3200 scope on it and it shoots like a dream. It's my first Ruger but definitely not my last!

Old 10-23-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

I personally prefer the .223 caliber for crows, rabbits, and coyotes (as well as the occasional target).
Yes, the 22-250 and the 220 Swift are much higher velocity, but I am on a budget, and sometimes overly practical. Out to about 150 yards, you will hardly know the difference, and the .223 is more econimical to shoot. I have friends in the military, and they used to be able to pick up spent brass off the firing range for free, as long as they promised not to SELL it. I got all I wanted from them for free, and usually loaded up a box or two for them for their trouble. Too good a deal not to get in on. Now that we are post 9-11 I don't know what the deal will be.

By the way, if you are interested in a Ruger, you can't go wrong. I had a buddy that shot his Ruger with an obstructed bore (he had a BIG dumb a.. attack - poked it in the ground & didn't even pull the bolt to see if it was clear). Anyway, the barrel split open about the last 8 or 10 inches. Guess what Ruger gave him a brand new barrelled action for FREE, on the condition that they got to keep the ruined one (they didn't want anyone trying to re-barrel it in case the bolt or reciever was cracked).
My brother bought a Mark I .22 used that had something not right with it. They fixed it for free, and put in all new action springs while they were at it - no charge!
I also know of a guy who was having accuracy problems with his .270 deer rifle, and they re-barreled his rifle which now shoots great - again no charge.

Needless to say, I have great affinity for Ruger. Can't really go wrong with them.

Quick Reply: Ruger Compact Rifle?