Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Hey MuddHound

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey MuddHound

I was offerd a remington modle 7400 (270 cal) with a scope (I forget what brand) that has a adjustable yardage setting on it. I think the paper work says if you set it on 100yds and sight it in then no matter what you set it on (25-500)yds it will hit dead center at the distance you set it on. Do you know any thing about these kind of scopes? But any way the gun belongs to my grandpa and has had less then 20 rounds shot through it and dont have a scratch on it. I con get it for 300$ is it worth it? I've heard alot about the 270 and I think it would be a good choice for what I want it for But want to know what you think. Is it big enough to take a elk with out pushing my luck? even thoe the scope will adjust up to 500yds what do you think a good safe distance is for this gun? sorry for so many queastions but I want to learn all I can befor I buy. thanx

Old 11-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey MuddHound

That's a great deal! At 95% condition that rifle, asuming that it is the walnut stock bright blue steel version, is worth $315. Add in another $75 or more for that type of optics and your coming out smelling like a rose.

The 7400 is a great gun, its been around for years and not a lot of problems out of them as long as you keep it serviced well and use quality ammunition. Many people will tell you that an autoloader isn't accurate, well news for them "The most accurate production sniper rifle in the world is an automatic." The accuracy difference is only minimal, maybe .5 MOA, so its nothing you should worry about unless you plan on trying to groundhog hunt with that .270. Remember to keep that action clean, polished, and lubed as well as using quality ammo and that 7400 will make you an ideal rifle with near flawless function.

As to the .270 Win caliber, its a great caliber and one of my favorites, the only thing I don't like about it is that it is a long action and thus results in a slightly longer slightly heavier gun, and in an auto loader the long action is more prone to jam than the short. .270 should be more than enough for elk as long as you get good shot placement. Just a thought if you do get the gun and win an elk permit use a good heavy (150 gr or better) bullet like a trophy bonded bearclaw in it.

The scope you described sounds like a Tasco BDC (bullet drop compensator), they are the only manufacturer that I can think of that had a production BDC in their scopes. The only drawback to those systems is that for the vertical accuracy to stay true for the whole 500 you have to use the same brand and weight bullet that the scope is set to.

Old 11-27-2002, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey MuddHound

I'm not familiar with the 7400, but my hunting buddy has used his 270 for moose for many years with good results. I feel the 270 is a bit light for moose, but probably ok for elk. He is an excellent shot, so his placement is very good, so he's never had a problem. He also keeps his shots short, usually under 200 yds, 300 max. ( I use a 30-06 myself, i feel it packs just a bit more punch.)

My buddy also has the Bullet Drop Compensator scope on his 270 (not sure if its the Tasco) and I've seen him pull off some amazing shots with it. Its got a second horizontal crosshair which you adjust according to the yardage and the drop of your bullets. MuddHound is right, it is dependent on the ballistics of the bullet. My buddy loaded up hundreds of rounds of the same handload, so his placement is consistent. It still takes some skill on your part to know your yardages, but if you combined it with a laser rangefinder and a bit of practice, you would have a deadly combination.