Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Honda TRX350D Cam timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda TRX350D Cam timing

Hello to you all.
This is a plea from across in England, I have just bought a 1988 TRX350D with a serious top end rattle, It could actually be something in the cylinder !
I have not yet got a manual, though I have one on the way from the USA, Before I remove the cam chain & cam, how do I set the engine in position so that I can refit them at a later date (Is there a timing mark or dowel to lock the crank in place)
Someone has done a real bodge where the cam attaches to the cam sprocket, It looks as though one of the threaded holes in the cam has cracked off and they have put a bolt in and welded !! it to the cam bracket and cam sprocket.
This seems to have held ok but may be a problem when I try to remove the cam chain to release the head (If need be I can cut the weld and replace the damaged parts)
The TRX35OD does not seem to be a common machine over here so I don't want to replace any more parts than need be, Is this engine fitted to any other models which may be more popular?
Sorry to have gone on a bit, But maybe one of you experts can help.
bfn
Malc

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be better asking that question in the Honda Forums

Welcome

Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forums!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Timing

Timing on almost all 4 stroke engines is very simple. On the cam sprocket there is a mark punched in it that needs to be pointed to the top of the head and the magneto should have a " T " marked on it that you can see by unscrewing the window on the side case . Align the T with the notch on the side case wich would be top dead center ( piston will be at top a cylinder, can check this by simply taking a straw and putting it down the spar plug hole) and point the mark on the cam gear up (the lobes on the cam will be pointing down towards the piston ). That should put you back in time . As for welding anything inside the motor , I would just buckle up and buy new parts . You need to realize that everything inside the motor is also balanced and welds do break and loose pieces a metal inside a motor tend to cause major damage .

Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cam Timing on TRX 350D

Thanks to everyone for the welcome,
I have bitten the bullit and ordered new parts already, One problem I have is that after cutting the welds to remove the cam sprocket (so that I could lift the head) I have eventually found the rattle to be a tiny piece of the previously damaged cam bracket has gone through the gear drive to the balance shaft, leaving a minute piece in the root of a tooth, I have removed the debris and everything turns ok now (but heres the problem) Having removed the head, cam and cylinder and turned the engine over several times to check it, How do I now find which is the compression stroke (for ignition) as I can now put the cam back in time with TDC position on either stroke.
Can I get an electrical reading from anywhere to confirm when the spark occurs (apart from the obvious way with my finger and the plug lead)
Once again thanks for help
bfn
Malc

Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

As I described earlier it should work out for you and you should not be out of time by 360 degrees.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

welcome and good luck.. is there allot of riding places across the pond?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello There
Yes we have quite a lot of what are called "Green Lanes" over here, they are small unpaved bridleways (usually just over a single vehicle wide) that are legally open to all traffic,though it is mainly farm traffic, horse riders and the occasional off road bike that we find on them.
Because they are in the country people use them for quiet walks etc. which at times are spoilt by moto cross riders using them illegally and getting everyone with an engine a bad name.
Unless we travel quite a long way, there is very little moorland or open ground that we can ride on.
My machine is used mainly at night for vermin shooting over the estate on which we live.
bfn
Malc

Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Welcome