Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Is a 700xx any good for beginner

Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 700xx any good for beginner

I'm still a fairly new rider with friends who are better than average. They all have 450 and up race quads fully modified for max performance and that leaves me needing the same to compete. My best friend Rodger has a Honda 700xx and too be honest, it seems entirely too aggressive for a beginner but he is persistent on me getting the same. He says it's easy to ride slow and is also easy to get a hang of. I haven't had the chance to ride it myself but I may get the chance this weekend. I like the idea of the independent rear suspension, which would certianly be nice and comfortable for the rougher trails around here.

I've been riding for about 2 years now and have spent most of my time on my dads 300ex and my cousins stock 400ex which is a backup for his 450r. My riding group consists of the aforementioned 700xx and 450r hondas as well as a raptor 700r, yfz450r and a kfx450r. My budget is 4k dollars which judging by the Seattle area craigslist, is plenty for a clean low hour sport quad.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You can make a 700xx do 1 mph all day long if you want. So a beginner can handle it.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:16 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you have the basic skills, so you should be ok. Like TLC said, you can make it go slow.

Definitely take the ride on your friends before you buy. If it feel comfortable, then you'll be ok to get one.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

And set your own pace. If you're the sort of person who feels the need to compete, then yeah it will probably be too much machine for you to start out on due to lack of discipline.

If you're mature enough to stick to your pace and not feel the need to "keep up" with more advanced riders, then you'll be fine. Push yourself a little harder as you get comfortable with certain conditions / speeds. Before you know it you'll be hanging on their heels and/or passing them.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd look at a Raptor 700 too. The 700xx is a great quad but they're much harder to find than a good used Raptor 700 and generally cost more. Power is about equal to the 700xx. You could take that extra money and use it to add some performance goodies to the Raptor 700 when you get used to the increase in power. Either of these should have an easier learning curve than the 450 race quads.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Agree with pretty much everything that's already been said. Here in New England, if I was looking for a sport quad, I'd get the 700xx. The IRS is a nicer riding machine so you don't get as abused as you would on a straight axle quad, and you get more ground clearance in the rear. Don't remember the numbers, but I'm sure it's far better than the 4-6" clearance you get on most straight axle machines.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Agree with pretty much everything that's already been said. Here in New England, if I was looking for a sport quad, I'd get the 700xx. The IRS is a nicer riding machine so you don't get as abused as you would on a straight axle quad, and you get more ground clearance in the rear. Don't remember the numbers, but I'm sure it's far better than the 4-6" clearance you get on most straight axle machines.
I'd forgotten about the 700xx having irs. But it sounds like all his riding buddies all have regular sport quads so apparently ground clearance isn't that important where he rides. The Polaris Outlaw had irs too, that would be another one to consider if he wants irs.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I'd forgotten about the 700xx having irs. But it sounds like all his riding buddies all have regular sport quads so apparently ground clearance isn't that important where he rides. The Polaris Outlaw had irs too, that would be another one to consider if he wants irs.
If you went with the original Outlaw IRS it was the Polaris 500. Decent power, but would be left behind by the 450's speed-wise. The KTM powered 525 is said to be a beast. I believe they offered them with either a solid axle or an IRS. Can't imagine how powerful the 525 was. The only hesitation I would have with the Polaris with the KTM engine is that they discontinued them after just a couple years. Not sure what that would mean for parts availability.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

That 500 is not the same as in the Sportsman. It's a beast. My son has the Predator 500 and it's no slouch when it comes to speed. I'd say it's every bit as fast as the 700's, BUT, you're back into ridiculous maintenance schedules like the 450's too.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by NLWarrior01
That 500 is not the same as in the Sportsman. It's a beast. My son has the Predator 500 and it's no slouch when it comes to speed. I'd say it's every bit as fast as the 700's, BUT, you're back into ridiculous maintenance schedules like the 450's too.
Correct. the Predator is not the same motor as the 500 Sportsman/Scrambler. The 500 Sportsman/Scrambler is a SOHC 35hp the Pred has a DOHC 42hp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a 700xx any good for beginner