Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

The New guy buying an ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The New guy buying an ATV

Hi Boys,

I live in Southern California and I am about to buy a used ATV, but I can't really get my head around the best one. My budget is 2k to 2.5k.

Yahama 660 Coolest looking one, but most transmission issues
Honda trx 450 most reliable one
yahama yfz 450 fastest one off the line
yahmaha 700 too expensive for my budget
suzuki z400 known to be the best used ATV

Can someone tell me which one to buy... I will most likely be driving it on the roads .. just for your info

Thank you,

New Guy

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

You say you'll most likely be driving it on the roads, will this be more of a work atv than a play? If so, I'd look at something other than sport models.

All good quads. The 660 only had the transmission issue on the first year model. After that, they fixed the problem.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you anticipate rocks, ruts, logs, and deep mud and snow, I'd go for a utility machine. Of the 400 and 450 class machines, take a pick. 450's tend to be more maintenance intensive than the 400's they replaced. Not so much up on sport quads so maybe some others will chip in.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the under 2500 budget, the 400 class rules. They have been out for a while and the earlier models for both Honda and Suzuki are good. The Zuk gets the nod for better suspension and a more powerful liquid cooled motor. Honda is simpler and dead reliable, also a much easier to live with chain adjuster.

The 660 is a decent mount. They need shocks and to be a bit wider than stock though. True 01 had tranny issues, all years have weak 1 way bearings. I would expect both areas to be addressed if it has been ridden at all. The 700 addressed most of those little issues we all have with the 660, but is still a big feeling quad. Hard to find in this range, but not impossible if you are patient.

As for the 450 quads, it is more buyer beware. There are a lot out there that were just to fast and don't have a lot of hours, but I have looked at a few that were really ragged out. Know they need more maintenance and are not as tolerant if you don't keep up on stuff. Rebuild intervals are also shorter and a bit more expensive than the other sport machines. I love my 450s, but they aren't for everyone. The honda 450 (any brand really) will be less reliable than the others mentioned here.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile thanks

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome. Nonetheless, I want a sports quad and not utility because i have a house in palm desert and want to ride it there a lot too. Anyways, I found more potential ATVS I'm going to buy.

Z400
400ex
kfx 400

Heard the EX isn't as good as the rest. Between KFX and Z400.. the z400 is better. Lastly, I will be buying one next week. Any feedback would be great!!!

Also, what questions should i ask picking it up
"has it been rebuilt"
"check coolant"
"check engine oil"
"check for rust and cracks"
"check for frame issues"
"look at paperwork"

what else?

love,
New Guy

Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the Z and KFX (and arctic cat dvx) are the exact same quad, just different plastic and seat for the cat. They are "better" stock vs stock to the EX, but buying used condition and modifications come into play. If you ever plan on dune riding, and you should, more power is a huge plus.

As for what to look for, check a arm mounts for bushing play, condition of engine oil, axle bearings for play, air filter for cleanliness (I once opened up an airbox on a used quad, the filter wasn't even attached and there was obvious dust in the intake! Just walked away...) chain to be clean, lubed, and adjusted. I really value overall cleanliness in the little things. Speaks to me how the machine was treated. If they can't at least clean most of the dirt and mud off to sell, maintenance has probably been an afterthought.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default -------

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Well, the Z and KFX (and arctic cat dvx) are the exact same quad, just different plastic and seat for the cat. They are "better" stock vs stock to the EX, but buying used condition and modifications come into play. If you ever plan on dune riding, and you should, more power is a huge plus.

As for what to look for, check a arm mounts for bushing play, condition of engine oil, axle bearings for play, air filter for cleanliness (I once opened up an airbox on a used quad, the filter wasn't even attached and there was obvious dust in the intake! Just walked away...) chain to be clean, lubed, and adjusted. I really value overall cleanliness in the little things. Speaks to me how the machine was treated. If they can't at least clean most of the dirt and mud off to sell, maintenance has probably been an afterthought.
I had a Honda 700xx for about 4 months, didn`t like it at all. after riding 500 quadracers and 700 kingquads. BUT it did have the best chain adjustment system I ever saw, Honda has got that down.