Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Looking for riding partner for Dad

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for riding partner for Dad

Seriously. My dad's coming for a visit and he's looking for a riding buddy. He's ridden motorcycles since he was a kid, is a handy motorcycle/dirt bike and ATV mechanic. He has spent the last 30 or so years riding dirtbikes in New Mexico. He gave up riding dirtbikes when he turned 90 and turned to four wheelers. He's 93 now and I swear he lives for riding. As he says, "when I put on my helmet I'm no longer an old man."

Anyone have any ideas? I'm no rider myself but, am hoping someone here might have some ideas. I live just to the west of Katy, Texas.

Thanks so much!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

93 and riding, that is outstanding!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forums. Age 93 ,I only wish.. You're close by some pretty riding areas.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...MgglXlLfjQy50w

Old 03-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

My dad is 94 and I've been trying to get him to try out a Polaris Ace. He has a bad knee and it's impossible for him to get on a regular quad. He scares me by riding his lawn mower way up on an ATV trail. Also he won't get a cell phone. Kudos to your dad, wish my dad could meet him!

Old 03-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Try posting in the "Where to ride" section. Let people know where he'd like to ride, etc. I've ridden many times with folks from the forum.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope I still have the desire and ability to ride at that age. My Grandpa is around that age but the last few years have been pretty rough on him. He still gets around but just can't do a lot of the things he used to do a few years ago. He never was into riding much though but when he was in better shape he would occasionally take a short ride on my quads. I'm sure there are some members relatively close to there that he could join up with. The Ace looks to be a machine that would be easier for older riders or those with physical limitations to be able to ride more easily than a normal quad. I've kinda thought about getting one myself, the 570 model looks like it would have plenty of power.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by greg74
I hope I still have the desire and ability to ride at that age. My Grandpa is around that age but the last few years have been pretty rough on him. He still gets around but just can't do a lot of the things he used to do a few years ago. He never was into riding much though but when he was in better shape he would occasionally take a short ride on my quads. I'm sure there are some members relatively close to there that he could join up with. The Ace looks to be a machine that would be easier for older riders or those with physical limitations to be able to ride more easily than a normal quad. I've kinda thought about getting one myself, the 570 model looks like it would have plenty of power.
Judging from how the RZR 570's worked when we rented a couple in Marysvale, UT to ride the Paiute Trail the 570 would be good at lower elevations but lack some punch at higher altitudes. RZR is heavier though.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default ace

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Judging from how the RZR 570's worked when we rented a couple in Marysvale, UT to ride the Paiute Trail the 570 would be good at lower elevations but lack some punch at higher altitudes. RZR is heavier though.
they make a 900 ace now. too expensive for me tho. they aren`t comfortable for taller riders either !

Old 03-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by wedgeracer
they make a 900 ace now. too expensive for me tho. they aren`t comfortable for taller riders either !
I think they'd be great for someone coming from a car background. Similar controls. Nothing really new to learn. Haven't hopped into one. I'm 6'3" so there are more than a few things that I'm cramped in too.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

Welcome! To the forums, I just my Dad is still strong as yours so that we could still ride together.