Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

Hello from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Just some guy from Texas.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Texas

Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a little while now but decided it's finally time to register.

I picked up a '94 Polaris 400 4x4 a little while back and have recently completed restoration of it. This forum has been a great aid in that process, as this is my first 4-wheeler, let alone being an "outdated" Polaris 2-stroke. Seems people either love or hate these things... So far, I'm in the "love" category.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer by trade, a country boy at heart, and a Texan by the grace of God. I love fixing things and making old things new again (which is how I ended up diving into this project, despite knowing nothing about the bike before I started...) Hopefully, what I've done/learned will help someone else along the way so I can repay the favors of those who've posted here already.

I'll post pics of the machine later, 'cause I know that these intro threads aren't much good without pics.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome aboard...

Old 11-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome!

Old 11-06-2016, 12:18 AM

As promised, here are some pics of the machine:

I didn't get any decent pictures of the machine "before," but it was very weathered. The plastic was faded and cracked, the fenders were different colors, the chains were rusted solid, the seat was torn and broken, everything was dirty, rusty, etc. It had sat for while and time and taken it's toll...

But, with a new plug, some fresh gas, extra oil, and a few cranks on the pull starter, it came back to life. Mechanically, it didn't need anything other than maintenance. All the fluids were changed, the chains were replaced, the PVT belt was replaced, etc. Cosmetically, it needed a lot. It seems with a lot of older quads, the cosmetic stuff is either ignored or shortcuts are taken. I guess I saw the potential in it and decided to do something different. Everything was cleaned as best it could be, removing years of aging. Rust was sanded and painted over. Every sticker/decal was removed, every panel sanded, cracks welded, holes filled, and finish smoothed, before automotive-quality paint was applied. A few minor upgrades were made along the way, mostly in the form of lighting and wiring. Broken items were fixed or replaced - heck, I even reupholstered the seat myself. When it was all done, it looked like a new machine. I'm pretty proud of it.

Before I got it, if you'd asked me if I wanted an old 2-stroke oil burner with a little 400 cc engine, I'd probably have laughed and said "no." Now that I've fixed one up and seen what it can do, I'm not sure I'd spend the extra money on a new one...

Old 11-07-2016, 09:36 AM

Well, I've tried to post some pics, but I guess they have to go through approval since I'm a newbie...

Hopefully they'll get approved soon.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Very nice job.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:35 PM

Thanks! Again, I'm pretty happy with it. I think it need some graphics on the side of the tank to make it pop a bit more, and eventually I'd like to get some better wheels and tires for it...

I actually just found another one of these for sale locally for a very good price. It's in pieces and the previous owner doesn't want to mess with it any more. Considering I still have some parts (from a parts bike) and paint left, I just might make myself a matching pair...

Old 11-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

Welcome!