Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

N.D. ATV Newb (4x for $4K!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Some people and manufacturers call an ecm as the "brain box" or ecu if it's a efi model. Polaris uses the this term ecm both ways and confuses people. The ecm in this case since it's a carb model handles quite a bit more that what you may be used to. It handles charging(replaces a regulator) controls the fan,has battery protection circuits,controls the hot light signal on the speedo,controls auxiliary power wires,plus has solid state circuit breakers. Again just pull the front panel. You might be lucky and have the regulator model that's close to the radiator. The ecm is at the top close to the steering post. OEM Surepower ECM 2004 2005 2006 Polaris Sportsman Scrambler 400 500 2203348 | eBay And they have a reputation of shorting out like this one.
"just pull the front panel"
Ha! Easier said than done! The previous owner jacked up the threads on the mount bolts for the winch. Can't get anything apart!
Just gonna take some elbow grease and a light touch of a grinder here and there.
Hate to say it but, if searches fail and don't turn up anything useful, gonna be time to start a couple of new threads.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Bumper doesn't have to be pulled,just 4 bolts on the plastic front rack to remove it then you can pop the front panel off.

Attached Thumbnails N.D. ATV Newb (4x for K!!!)-index.png  
Old 11-16-2016, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Then I must have some goofy aftermarket thing on mine...'cause there ain't no way I'm getting to that cover without pulling the rack and there ain't no way the rack is coming off without the winch getting removed.
Either way, I'm on it...in between other jobs...

Old 11-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got it all taken apart. It's aftermarket allright. Doesn't look anything like the breakdown. The rack, front bumper, winch mount, etc., all one unit. Just a matter of unbolting everything at once. Not a big deal.
Has a replacement ECM, Surepower, silver.
Got the rotten ball joints out, replacements on the way. I'd like to shake the hand of the guy that added the zerk fitting to the back of the strut mount. Made that job a piece of cake.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by skimask
Got it all taken apart. It's aftermarket allright. Doesn't look anything like the breakdown. The rack, front bumper, winch mount, etc., all one unit. Just a matter of unbolting everything at once. Not a big deal.
Has a replacement ECM, Surepower, silver.
Got the rotten ball joints out, replacements on the way. I'd like to shake the hand of the guy that added the zerk fitting to the back of the strut mount. Made that job a piece of cake.
Look at he 17 digit vin number on the front left lower frame. 10th digit will give the year model as you may have a different one.. Later models did away with ball joint zerk fittings. Called these new machines with "lifetime greased ball joints".. Also if problems arise on charging,power to the ignition,etc even the US made replacement ecm modules can fail.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Found a site where I could crossreference the VIN against the model, etc.
Yep, 2004. Ball joints don't have a zerk fitting, but as mentioned, the strut does on the back. Also found a few of those replacement ECMs on eBay. Might be a handy thing to keep in the 'trunk'. May as well get one for all the machines now.

Next question...tire sizes, conversions, etc.
Stock tires are 205/80-12 front, 270/60-12 rear.
If my math is right...
For the front...
205mm = 8.07 inches wide.
205mm * 80% section width = 6.46 inches, double that, add in the rim diameter = 24.91 inches tall.
So, front tires 25/8-12

For the rear...
270mm = 10.6 inches wide
270mm * 60% = 6.37 inches, doubled, plus rim hieght = 24.75.
So, rear tires 25/10-12.

Close enough?

Old 12-01-2016, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well...
According to the Haynes manual I got for the Polaris Sportsman, the ATV I've got is a 2004 1/2 although the VIN decodes to a 2004 model. Wish I could find the official serial # breakpoint...
4XACH50AX4Bxxxxxx
Polaris Sportsman HO 500 made in "B" serial number xxxxxx.
Looked at another site regarding recalls. Shows a specific entry for 2004.5 Sportsman with yellow trim.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

A dealer with the vin number can tell you the day it was built along with the recalls and any warranty performed. I looked that up for a lot of people at the shop. Shows the original owner and their address in the profile also. Any other vin# lookup pages are not privy to that info,only through the dealer network.