Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

My brand new 2016 won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brand new 2016 won't stay running

Hi my name is Mike, I'm a brand new atv owner. I have just purchased a 2016 Honda Recon 2 months ago. It has been running great intill today, i started it up and was letting it idle and it just died 4 to 5 minutes into warming up. It will start up but is idling rough and it dies again. I am only half way though my 2nd tank of gas, what do you think is wrong with it?

Thanks for your help in advance

Mike

Old 12-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be just the plug or trash in the carb,but at two months old,I'd let warranty take care of it if they will. You could change the plug yourself,but if it means going into the fuel system I'd let the dealer look at it first.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do plugs go out that fast? Would putting seafoam flush out the lines if its clogged?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Very frustrating on a new machine but it does happen no matter what brand, so that is what warranties are for. Are ya sure your gas is fresh? Nowadays it is not unusual to find water in gas no matter where you get it, stations allow there tanks to drop to low to protect there profits, or so they think. If the gas has been stored for awhile then put into your machine it may have some crud or water in it. Bummer over the holiday weekend but do let the dealer check it out to keep your warranty in place.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Very frustrating on a new machine but it does happen no matter what brand, so that is what warranties are for. Are ya sure your gas is fresh? Nowadays it is not unusual to find water in gas no matter where you get it, stations allow there tanks to drop to low to protect there profits, or so they think. If the gas has been stored for awhile then put into your machine it may have some crud or water in it. Bummer over the holiday weekend but do let the dealer check it out to keep your warranty in place.

The gas is fresh just filled it up 2 or 3 weeks ago with fresh mid grade gas.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

OK, I'm not poking fun at you, but 2 times my old Arctic Cats have died= they were low on gas. I looked in the tank, jeez, looks like plenty of gas, nope, once they get down 2.5-3 gallons, if I don't put on reserve, they sputter and die. Also riding on a trail at 20-30 mph gas milage is great, but plowing heavy snow, not so great. If that's not it, yes, take her to the dealer.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
OK, I'm not poking fun at you, but 2 times my old Arctic Cats have died= they were low on gas. I looked in the tank, jeez, looks like plenty of gas, nope, once they get down 2.5-3 gallons, if I don't put on reserve, they sputter and die. Also riding on a trail at 20-30 mph gas milage is great, but plowing heavy snow, not so great. If that's not it, yes, take her to the dealer.

Can't tell you how many times that happened to me..your first thought is something happened to my machine! One time the grandkids were riding out back and that happened and they walked a half mile to the house to tell me the machine died. Walked all the way back out thinking what could be the problem. Even the kids said there was plenty of gas in there as they looked.
Sure enough, flipped on the reserve and it fired right up....

Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That can happen, especially with a carb machine as it looks like there is still a little fuel but it can't pick up the last little bit. Its always nice when the fix is easy. I can't remember if it has it for sure but if the Recon has a fuel vent line coming out of the gas tank, make sure that is not kinked or clogged. Sometimes something as simple as that can make a quad run poorly. Id check the plug and if it looks bad, replace it. I'd take a look at the air filter as well to make sure its not too dirty. Along the same lines as running out of fuel, just to be sure make sure the fuel petcock isn't turned to the off position. Beyond that, I'd just take it to the dealer since its brand new and under warranty.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is it EFI? If so it could be a injector. I replaced an injector on one of my atv's that came in and it fired right up and ran great. Sometimes the wires will be pulled out of the injector and need to have an elbow pinched onto it and shoved back into the injector. If it does have a carb, the needle valve or the main jet might have a peice of dirt or even a chunk of plastic in it. Some of those new atv's won't have there tanks and lines flushed. I flush all the lines and tanks when I get new or old atv's in to work on. I would just take it back to the dealer as long as it is under warranty. Hope this helps

Old 02-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Big Poop

if u dont want to take back to selling dealer. do the simple things first, remove spark plug ,see if has spark.
if it does .
try draining all the fuel. including the carb. if its FI./u cant drain it all. fill with Premium..should never used anything but Premium in ATVs nowadays..regular gas is crap. and see if it starts..if not.
remove seat and open air box and filter.
get can of brake clean or a squirt bottle with gas in it. as your turning it over.squirt brake clean in or gas.if it starts. keep squirting till it stays running. if it wont..take to dealer. its on warrenty.
im retired motorcycle mechanic and ex Honda dealer and Bombadier dealer from 76 to 99 .if i can help u guys..just ask. i dont remember it all after having a stroke last May.but i try.