Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New here. Sort of new to ATVs (been awhile)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. Sort of new to ATVs (been awhile)

Me, wife, 13, 10, and 8. Looking to pick out a few machines to get started.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:20 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Brandon Smith. A "few" machines!? You are a glutton for punishment. I have a new Can Am Outlander 2 up ATV that is comfortable for my wife and me. The longer wheelbase of the 2 up machines appears more stable, althougt the turning radius is larger.

I'm new to the ATV hobby and have a lot to learn. Riding is not ideal here in Colorado during the winter. But I'm anxious for spring and some ATV adventures with my friends.

Good luck in your search for a few machines.

David

Old 01-15-2017, 02:18 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks all. I appreciate the welcomes and info from David.

Yeah was looking a at couple 90ccers for my 8 and 10 year old. Probably a larger 2 up for my wife and I.

I could get in on machines for $15k if I do things right. It's the service that scares me to death. I already have a Malibu. Is the atv world like boat ownership? Break Out Another Thousand?

Old 01-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Brandon: A modern ATV is a rather complex machine mechanically. And it is tightly packed making some repairs time consuming as you disassemble items to get to the item you want to fix.

I enjoy doing mechanical work in my garage. I have not kept up with modern electronic devices such as engine control modules, direct fuel injection, and emission controls. But I believe I can do almost all the routine maintenance items on my new Can Am myself, except the valve clearance check and adjust. That looks pretty tight in there for me. I believe I can change a CVT belt, a CV joint, or a U joint myself on my machine. Shop service manuals are available for most machines and are invaluable to a rookie.

Dealer service departments are probably in the $100 and hour range. Independent shops (we have a good one close to me) are maybe in the $65 an hour range. Further, OEM parts seem rather expensive for what they are.

Bottom line: ATVs are probably more expensive to own than a motorcycle. ATV ownership can cost less if you can do a majority of the work yourself. This forum helps thousands of owners diagnose and resolve "won't start" problems and the like for participants.

My wife often says "Why don't you take up gardening as a hobby" It costs much less than an ATV." And that is true. But I'm a motor head from birth. Can't help it.

David

Old 01-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome, yep there are no toys that are inexpensive! I have both a UTV and a boat and the UTV is less expensive than the boat. Of course I bought mine new so the expenses haven't started yet. I do all my own maintenance but would need help if the electronics went haywire. Do check riding areas before heading out as some have age limit restrictions. Might also consider a UTV or 4 seater then age would not be a problem.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome!

Old 01-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were to buy a 2up, I think the Can-Am Outlander is a good choice. Several members on here have them and everyone seemed really pleased with them. Arctic Cat and Polaris also make 2up machines. You could possibly buy a used older side by side as well. A Yamaha Rhino is a good trail machine, just doesn't have the top end speed of newer utvs, about 40 mph top speed but can be had in good shape for around $5K or less. A used Kawasaki Teryx costs a little more but you get quite a bit more power and top end speed, though overall size and width are bigger as well. If you really want a 50" machine, there are tons of used Polaris Rzrs out there for reasonable prices used. You could easily buy a nice used side by side and 2 youth atvs for your kids for well under $10K.