Kawasaki Side by Sides Talk about the rugged Kawasaki Sport and Utility

2005 Mule 610 Ignition Problem

Old 01-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Mule 610 Ignition Problem

Greetings - Have 2005 Mule 610 that will no longer start. Had previous ignition problem where mule would not turn off. Found broken wire on coil and replaced coil with new one. Also cleaned the carburetor and jets, cleaned the rotor and stator and reset the valves all per specs in the shop manual. Starter motor is also as new. Compression is 85psi..seems perfect. After all this, I did get the mule to start up once or twice after putting gas in the sparkplug hole. New plug also...now nothing happens except the occasional backfire. Checked regulator etc. all check OK, all new relays, fuel and pump are good...at a loss as what to do next. Kawasaki in Panama is worthless...better to try myself. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong or where to start over. Ran fine before, not now. Thanks, Thijs

Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you put gas in plug hole MOST of the time the ignition would be fine...Alot of times this would mean low cowpression or leaking values or fuel delivery problem IMO.Does mule have alot of hours on it? Has it had an ruff life? If you have values adjusted correct and new NGK plug IMO I would try to get an leak down test done on engine to see if compression is leaking by values or piston rings.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mule Ignition

Hi Papa, Thanks again for your previous response. Here is where I am so far, since I've replaced the coil, all I get is a backfire or two or if lucky the Mule will run for 2 or 3 seconds. Can't seem to keep it firing. The compression reads 85psi which is about max. I've checked and cleaned the flywheel and stator, regapped the valves, set the air gap on the coil to minimum, cleaned the carburetor and jets upteen times, checked the governor linkage etc. all to factory manual specs. Checked wiring, relays etc. all seem fine and well as the battery. Seem to be getting OK spark and the fuel pump is working fine...just can't see what I'm missing or have done wrong. This Mule has had an easy life with usual oil and filter changes. Any advice from here?