Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

water in crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last weekend I crossed a stream that was a little too deep stalled in the middle and filled the engine with water.I tipped it up drained as much as i could out rode back did a fast drain and fill and rode for a few more hours.i got home drained it again the oil still looked the same white.Any suggestions on what to do to get all of the white sludge out of my engine or should I just keep flushing it with oil?Can I use alittle kerosine?

Old 01-13-2000, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first question is ,did you completely drain the airbox's sediment tube?Is the air filter completely free of water and contaminents?If not,you need to be doing these two things right away.Im not sure on a Mohave,does it have a oil filter?If so change it.Completely drain the gas tank and refill it with fresh gas,change the gas filter if equipped with one.Change the oil one more time,that should do the trick.Good Luck=====BILL

------------------

Old 01-14-2000, 01:59 AM
Trailblazer

Diesel is probably one of the better choices for flushing your motor. The ratio of 1qt to 3qts is good. Some people would recommend solvent, but in my opinion this is dangerous. Not only will is cause excessive wear, but it could permantly damage seals & o-rings. Your not trying to breakdown years of sludge build up. I recommend 1.5 -2 minutes tops. I work on very expensive submersible pumps on a daily basis and we commonly have to flushes out contaminated bearings from water infiltration. Never have we had premature bearing failure due to slightly creamy oil. You caught it in time! Bill's right, definatly clean out your airbox.
------------------

------------------
Mud_Runner 98' Wolverine,Warn Winch, Aluminum Skid plate, A-arm guards.

[This message has been edited by Mud_Runner (edited 01-14-2000).]

Old 01-14-2000, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

I did drain sediment tube I still have to clean air filter and get an oil filter.Thank you for your replies.

Old 01-14-2000, 06:27 PM
Range Rover

I've seen people change the oil as many as 6 times to get all the milk out of the crankcase. Keep changing it and follow the other suggestions above and eventually you'll get it all out.

Old 01-17-2000, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

It also took me at least 6 oil changes before the oil showed no milky residue. I also found it necessary to drain the carb as well. Before doing so, the engine would crank and idle but not rev up. I too checked the differential but found no evidence of water.

That was well over a year ago and the quad has shown no signs of damage to any component. It continues to run as good as the day I bought it.

[This message has been edited by drlaney (edited 01-17-2000).]