Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Kawasaki
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 05-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Default Stripped Shifter Fix

I have an 87 Tecate 4 with a striped shifter. The shifter shaft has some splines left but is somewhat egg shaped. I really don't want to have to split the case to fix this. Anybody have a good fix for a striped shifter. I have seen people drill a hole through the shifter and the shaft and put a bolt through it but I know one guy that had his shifter shaft break complete after doing this. I was thinking about making a slot in the shaft and the shifter and using some sort of key, but this seems difficult. Welding it on is not an option. Any Ideas?
Old 05-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Click here

A lot of times it really isn't hard to replace the shift shaft. A lot of times all that is neccessary to do is remove the right side case and possibly the clutch basket. I suggest replacing the shift shaft and shifter. I've never done it on a tecate motor, but I'm sure someone on this board has done it and can tell you what is involved in the tecate motor. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I would like to replace the shaft but the previous owner had welded the kickstater to the kickstarter shaft so I can't remove the right side cover unless I buy a new kickstarter shaft and kickstarter. Lots of cash for such an old bike.

thats good info in that tech tip. after reading that and relooking at my shaft I think I will try a new shifter. The c clamp I was definelty not tightinng all the way.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:25 PM

Tags
atv, case, fix, fixing, fourwheeler, kick, replacing, shaft, shift, shifter, skifter, spline, splines, split, starter, striped, stripped, tecate