Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota smoking

Old 06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakota smoking

My brother has a 2003 Lakota that blows white smoke all the time. It doesn't have that many hours on it. He did run Mobil1 synthetic for cars in it. I made him switch to Amsoil 10w-40 for motorcycles. This probably have anything with the smoking would it, it would more likely effect the clutch. He has an identical one that has the same use and ran the same oil, that run great.Anyway I thought the valve might need to be adjusted. So i took it apart, according to the manual you are supposed to line up the kf300 mark on the cam gear with top mark, and the t on the rotor with index mark on the case. Anyways they both didn't line up exactly is this a problem. Also they didn't have a Clymers for 03 just 99 and older would this be a problem. While I have it apart, I know from an article in ATV connection that the main jet is rich from the factory. So what main jet would you recommend, everything is stock on the lakota.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default Lakota smoking

White smoke? What's it smell like? Holeshotz will know more about the lakota's internals.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default Lakota smoking

Originally posted by: rolsmojave3
White smoke? What's it smell like? Holeshotz will know more about the lakota's internals.
Hoooolllleeeeshotz, where are you? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Lakota smoking

It smells pretty bad no one wants to ride behind it. It kind of burns my eyes.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Lakota smoking

Originally posted by: Baseballroxmasox
Originally posted by: rolsmojave3
Hoooolllleeeeshotz, where are you? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

lol i got a new computer and for the 1st few weeks that i had it everytime i went on this website it wouldnt work and now it does and the few times i got on here recently i used the old computer lol......well anyways as far as the smoke, it sounds like the bike is burning oil so anything from the rings to the whole top end could be worn and need replacement. Also, how long has it been doing this for. I would start by doing a compression test so you can get a good idea of what kinda shape the engine is in...it should be around 145-160 psi....now about the cam sprocket.....it should line up so it sounds like the engine needs to be retimed...somehow it got really messed up or some one took it appart and never timed it correctly when they put it back together.......also, loose or tight valves would not cause smoke, only worn valve seals would and ajusting the valves would not fix that....also pull the plug and see what color it is...

Old 06-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Lakota smoking

I think it has smoked a little for a year or two when they ran it hard. Now it pretty much smokes all the time except at idle. I'll check the compression in a few days. How do you check timing and adjust it.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Lakota smoking

Don't screw with the timing. if it's one tooth off it will run some wierd.

Do a compression test, anything above 120psi's is awsome. If copression is low put about two onces of oil in the spark plug hole and do it again, if compression is still low it's the rings, if compression comes up it's the valves.

Check your air box for oil as well. Lakota's, mojave's and bayou's have a pretty good blow by. Meaning if you pull your oil fill cap and start the bike she will chug like a train out the fill cap.

Sounds alot like you are over filling the oil, excess crank case preasure pushing misty oil into your air box making white smoke and a nasty burnt smaell.

If your engine blows blue smoke just at start up, need new valve seals. If she blows blue smoke while riding and under power, it's the rings.

On a kota if you lost compression and burning oil like you think, there is no doubt you would know because she would be so down on power you wouldn't even want to ride it.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Lakota smoking

I got a compression testor but fits two strokes, have to come up with a adaptor to test compression. We've been filling the oil to the mark on the glass. I pulled the plug it was defiantly oil fouled. I mean bad there was carbon build up thick on the electrode and was oil wet. I'm suprised it started. It still has good power. Anyways will try compression test this weekend. Thanks for everybodies help.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Lakota smoking

my guess is to replace the stock piston and buy a wiseco piston and rings.