Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Kawasaki
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Default Bayou 220 noisy engine

I have a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220. It runs very good but is pretty noisy at idle. I replaced the piston and rings but it is still noisy. It sort of clicks and dings (lack of better words). What should I look at next? Every once in a while on the trail it will backfire while I accellerate slowly. Thanks!

Brad
Old 08-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Baconbits

valves might need adjusting?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to Baconbits

ok, good luck
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I'm new here and I hate to bring up an older post but I have the same problem with a 2002 220.
I adjusted the valves and it didn't help. I used an old trick to find it using a broom stick on the motor. Its coming from the top end for sure.
I've worked on Jap motorcycles for year but never on a quad. Is there anything big I should worry about when taking the top off the motor?
I see theres a compression lever. Should that be down or up?
Sorry if I am asking dumb questions, the motors should be pretty close to the old jap bike but I want to make sure.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

check and make sure that the cam chain is tight. i know mine was worn out and it made a lot of noise
Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks I'll do that.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I've completely rebuilt mine with .040 over and milled the head .050 and new valves. It made a knocking noise before and after the build. A while ago I did some research and concluded those 220's just do that. It kinda sounds like piston slap to me.

And about the valves, I backed off the intake lash quite a bit and gained some HP. Now it makes a clicking sound, but runs better. Took the baffle out too, its not that much louder, but runs a bit better.

The decompression lever should be down I think. Pull it up to open the exhaust valve a bit. As far as pulling the head, its pretty easy. The hard part is getting the rocker shafts out. You have to use the cam bolt and a metric nut to make a puller.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Just another quick question. I know where the timing chain tensioner is but I'm not sure how to tighten it up.
On another note I would like to thank the guys here for helping. This is a great site. I'm a chopper guy and haven't been into ATVs very long.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

the way my tensioner is set up i have to loosen the bolt on the top and it should tighten up the chain then re tighten the bolt
Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM

Tags
220, bayou, cam, chain, clicking, decompression, end, engine, kawasaki, knock, making, noise, parts, timing, top