Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

someone please help me as i am new to atv"s

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone please help me as i am new to atv"s

i just bought a bayou 250 03' is used an worn out but i got it for 80 bucks the guy gave me a ignition wire said the one on it was bad i cant get any spark out of the plug while i have it cranking over. do i need to be on the atv pushing the brake or what? say it was a brand new atv what are basic starting instructions?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if run switch on the left side handle bar is in the run position , it works like a kill switch on most quads it's a sliding switch and have to be in the center position and left or right kill's the fire ; if that's not the cause you need to get a good Shop manual that cover's your year Make and Model !

And if you mean the wire that goes to the spark plug it hook's to the coil then to spark plug ,i've replaced one on a 93' polaris sportsman 500 before ; and i seem to recall having to use some kind epoxy glue to hold the wire in place to the coil !..........

Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

i still cant get a spark from the plug is there anyother suggestions anyone may have for me to check??

Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default someone please help me as i am new to atv

The kill switch should be all the way to the right for it to run (but if the starter turns, the switch is ok). Check the fuse under the seat.... Never know. Now you have to test the ignition coil with an ohmmeter, test the cdi, test the pick up coil, test the alternator, and make sure all the wires are connected. Is your spark plug good? It should be a D8EA NGK plug with .024 gap. Let me know if you need any specs from the book. The bayou book gives specs for just about everything (CDI included) which is kinda rare in dealing with ATV's.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default someone please help me as i am new to atv

Oh, you don't need to push any brake, just make sure you're in neutral. But the starter won't turn anyway if you're not, so....