Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

94 bayou 400 4x4 starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 bayou 400 4x4 starter problems

I just replaced my starter and it will turn the crank shaft about one time every 10 seconds. I opened the sight window and the limiter can be turned in either direction. Has ayone had this problem? Stump. Some one told me the limiter gear only should turn one way.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

its called the starter bendix. when the starter turns it turns the crank and when the engine is running it free wheels.it should be able to turn only one way. so if it turns both ways then that part is bad

Old 01-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Thanks for replying. I see your name a lot on forum. I looked up the schematic from Kawasaki and on the site the part is oem 39706 and it is listed as a starter limiter. It sells for 74.00. Anyway regardless what we call it it needs replacing as it will turn in either direction. The starter shaft turns the starter limiter which is attatched to the gear starter by a small gear , which is attached to a bearing thats attatched to the one way clutch. The starter will turn over from the starter limiter but it is hesitant to lock in on the gear starter which I assume turns the crankshaft. It will turn the crankshaft about one time and then it turns loose until about 10 seconds anf then it kicks back in but not enough that the engine will start. Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stumper

Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

that thing is only going to turn one way so if it turn both then that sounds like the only thing that would be keeping the stater from turning the motor over. let me know what u find out man.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

the limiter isnt the problem theres a one way clutch on the flywheel that engages in one direction ..if it has kicked back and now wont engage but makes grinding noises you probably have broken teeth off the gear that runs in the center of that one way clutch behind the flywheel......and probably have damaged the limiter gear some too.....why it does this is still making me angry......the dealers dont have any answers only that they want me to bring it in.........i can see the end result.....a several hundred dollar repair bill and still no solution.....acts like it fires too soon or has too much compression.......at start up.....the next areas im going to check i guess

Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have since I last posted.... installed new gears and a new cdi box ... it no longer kicks back and idles nicely ....no more high speed miss either...the ignition timing is set by the cdi box..and is not adjustable it has different timing circuits which seem to go south separately with the advanced timing circuit lets it fire too soon for starting causing the kick back and breaking the starting mechanisms the cdi box is available at regulatorrecifier.com.....the dealers only help was bring it in...........75 bucks an hour.... plus over 400 for a cdi box once they decide that maybe it..couple days of that and you could buy another atv cheaper... they say that they have no way of testing them..i think it was like 170? at regulator rectifier but is a different size so you have to make it mount on your own terms its smaller......tie wraps worked...