Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kawasaki mojave, new carburetor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kawasaki mojave, new carburetor?

hey guys im new hear, i have a question for ya, i just picked up a 2000 kawasaki mojave. the quad is in nice shape but was not running right. the guy i bought it off of put on a suzuki airbox with no lid and aftermarket highflow filter. well it does not run like is should, i have tried jetting the carb, i bought a jet kit aswell as many differnt size jets for it, i can get it started but it does not like to run after the first 5 mins of being started. it bogs down whenever you try to hit the throttle. i took the air box off and ran it to a snorkel i made to get more air, then i made a exhaust for it, its a straight threw design with packin material inside, but it still does the same thing after i jetted it for those things, it just bogs out and dies whenever i hit the gas, it bogs to a complete stall and then i have to kick it about 20 times to fire it again, ive been told that this carburetor is bad for modifications because it had a vacuum slide, im starting to think what ive been told is right, so i think it would be better if i bought a proper sized carburetor that fits my quad but that is manual, so that when i hit the throttle the slide is going to come up one way or another with or without preasure, i guess what im tryin to say is, im lookin to get my quad to run the way it should but the carburetor is not allowing it because it does not have enough preasure or vacuum with the snorkel i have on it. so i figured id ask if i could just go for a carburetor of the manual type slide so that i can modify my air intake and exhaust. what are your guys ideas, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot

Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Range Rover

to me it sounds like you have an air leak either in the carburetor (probably at the rubber diaphragm at the top) or a leak on either side of the intake manifold. I would say start by doing a very thorough cleaning of your carb by removing all the jets, cleaning them and cleaning the carb with the jets out. I would ensure you have a good seal there. Also, screw in the mixture screw all the way (you don't have to torque it much, just turn it until it stops) then back it out 2.0 turns. see if that helps. If you have an after market carburetor (edlebrock, mikuni, etc.) it may simply be too big for the machine. Stock is 34mm at the spigot (it may be 36mm - I forget). I recommend reading these articles:
http://www.nyriders.com/board/index.php?topic=55.0 and http://www.atvriders.com/articles/jetting.html Also, as a side note double check that your float is opening and closing your flow of gas at the proper levels - if your float is mostly or all the way up, it should stop the flow of fuel into the bowl and as it lowers more it should progressively allow fuel into the bowl. These are my best guesses. Hope it helps.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks alot ive been lookin for a good jetting article, they were pretty straight forward, i went out today and cleaned the carb, checked for leaks with some carb cleaner, checked the vacuum slide and there are no holes in it, pilot jet and main jet are completly clean, no debris anywhere, then i blowed out all holes with compressed air, still does the same thing. ive been told that because im running my carburetor straight to a filter with no airbox that the carb is not gettin enough preasure to operate properly, it is a keihin cvk style carb, and if it does not get enough preasure it will not create the vacuum and will not raise the slide, thats just what ive read online, anyone second that? , when i tore it apart i found that when you hit the throttle you accualy dont move the slide, you move a plate that controlls the preasure. i think im going to opt for the aftermarket carb that way i can run a free flowing system. should i go with the same size carb, the only things done to the quad are modifiyed intake and exhaust. thanks again for the info.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

I have the same brand of carb with a 32mm instead of a 34. I have a clamp on air filter, so it is pretty free flowing. mine doesnt have that problem so I am out of guesses as to why it wont work. I was just looking at the diagram of your carb on http://fiche.ronayers.com/Inde.../Group/Carburetor(1/3) and I was wondering if the little "o" ring where the choke attaches is maybe bad or missing. The only other place that may not be sealing in the carb is the diaphragm (that I can see- but you said you checked that). Maybe try covering up the snorkel a little bit so it restricts the air flowing in if you are thinking it is too free flowing- just make sure it is something that cant get sucked in. If all fails and you end up getting a new carb, I would be very interested in getting the carb you are taking off from you. Ive been looking for a larger carb for my lakota.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah i checked the choke and the o-ring looks fine but the plastic piece that surrounds that is broke, i wouldnt think that would have anything to do with it being that it doesnt help seal it, or atleast i wouldnt think so. i think im going to opt for the differnt carb, im thinkin about buying one off of dennis kirk maybe a mikuni prolly a 34mm same as the one i have, there shouldnt be any problems with this should there. and if not then would it benifit me to go with a bigger carburetor? any suggestions would be great. yeah if i buy a new carb id be more than happy to sell it to you, im just to used to the old slide carburetors than this constant vacuum one. thanks again

Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Range Rover

I have heard of a lot of people putting 36mm on the mojave and love the response they get from it. Cycle works racing offers a 36mm carburetor and everything you need to install it for $165. I have been debating getting that for my lakota, but if I can pick up a decent used carb then i just may do that. If you talk to Greg at CWR he can give you all the info you need for the mojave- he really knows his stuff. let me know how much that old carb is worth to you- you can either send me a private message or post it here. I also prefer a slide but I am always looking to save a few bucks, and the mojave carb would still be a bit of an improvement (assuming the carb isn't actually bad)

Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks alot im going to have to check into that, i orderd a 34mm mikuni from my local dealer but i may have to cancel that and look into this 36mm, what have you heard about the performance with that setup?? um about the 34mm keihin carb, idk does 75 sound good and how would i go about selling it to you.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

let me know what you end up going with (34/36mm and roundslide/flatslide) Also it would be cool info to post when you get it running right what jets you used and if there is a noticeable performance difference. 75 is a lot more than I had in mind. I dont want to insult so I will not counter offer. I appreciate your willingness to part with it though. I am very interested in hearing how things turn out for you.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

k will do, im pretty sure im going to cancel the order from my local dealer and go for the 36mm im going to do somemore research but it sounds like a good deal with cable, boot, and jets, but they are closed for the week, so ill have to wait till tuesday and go from their. on the carb i got, ill prolly try sellin it on one of these auction sites and see what happens, i dont even know what a going price for it is, i just know that new they are pricey but oviously i wont be able to get no were close to that price, couldnt expect that. but thanks alot for all your help. and dont feel youll insult me on a lower price, im accualy lookin to get my money back on the jet kit i bought for it, which was 60 but its negotiable. thanks again