Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Fixing up my newly-acquired Bayou 220, need a wiring diagram and questions answered.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing up my newly-acquired Bayou 220, need a wiring diagram and questions answered.

So, I've recently acquired a 00 (i think) Bayou 220 from a friend for 100.00. Basically the whole thing except most of the engine was picked apart, so i loaded the truck with everything and headed home. My friend said that one day it just wouldn't turn over, so he picked it all apart for some weird reason and just let it sit for about a year until I came along and took it off his hands. For the past day and a half I have been slowly putting everything back together, and trying to get everything right. As of now, I have almost everything assembled on and in the motor, and thankfully am only missing 1 or 2 bolts so far. One of the bolts that is missing holds on the oil line that lubes the valvetrain so I will need to get that, it's a flow through (i think?) bolts that have holes in the bottom and side so oil can pass through, that will need to be replaced before I run it. Everything in the transmission and motor is perfect, shifts great and has good compression. Now, on with the problems.

1. I can't make any sense out of the wiring system. Since he said it wouldn't turn over with the electric start, i figured it was just the solenoid or something like that. I can't seem to find any sense out of anything. Where the battery hooks up, there was only one right terminal where the large-gauge wire was cut and the terminal fell off because of a melted wire. I can't seem to find the positive terminal at all, so this is why i need a diagram to figure out what is what. He said he lost the key one day, so there is a switch where the key was i am assuming, i hooked that back up, and plugged in all the plugs that came out of the crankcase, and low and behold, it has spark!
I jumped the starter with a wire also and it turned over fine, so I know that's good. The wire that connected to it seems to have disappeared as well, so there is another reason I need a diagram. I have a multimeter and lots of wire so I will just hook up and rewire anything that needs to be redone. I also know my way around an electrical system so it shouldn't be a problem, as long as I know what is what. Where the battery hooks up is a complete mess, with melted and rotten wires running ramped, the fuses seem to gone too. I can get pics if you guys need them.

2. The carburetor reaked of old gas, so I drained it all out, and then rinsed it with diesel fuel and tomorrow I will run some carb cleaner through it. I would like to avoid taking it apart if at all possible. He said it ran fine when he had it, so I hope it doesn't need any adjusting.
I need to know what line goes where. From what I can see there are 2-3 nipple on there, and I only have 1 gas line that came off the bottom. There is 1 that comes from the bottom, and 1-2 on the side. There is only 1 nipple that comes off the gas tank, so I need to know what goes where etc. Choke and throttle cables are fine. It is a Mikuni.

3. From what I can see, everything on the frame and motor seems solid and fine. Think you guys can tell me what to look for as far as stuff that commonly goes bad first?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fixing up my newly-acquired Bayou 220, need a wiring diagram and questions answered.

Rewiring of an electrical system is pretty complex for a forum discussion. If you bought the quad for 100 bucks, you need to invest in a manual. You'll use it all the time. Certainly the positive wire will go to the solenoid from the battery, and from there to the starter. Negative to the chassis. The wires are missing altogether abvoiusly. So one of the wires from the switch activates the solenoid by sending power back to it. You can use the OEM stuff or an old-style Ford solenoid will work. Polaris used them all the time.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Right now I'm thinking of just bypassing the stock wires completely and just leaving them the way they are, since it has spark and all, I don't need lights or anything like that. For the starter I would just go get a 12v relay and run it off the stock switch and run a lead to the starter. Then I will just rewire in a new killswitch and all should work right? I'm not worried about it getting stolen, so I don't need a key or security measures.
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

That will work just fine. If you wanted to you could intall a key switch in series anyway. You need to make sure you have a way to get power from the voltge regulator to charge the battery, and that all power from the solenoid onward is cut when you shut off the quad. With the exception of the start circuit up to the switch, anyway.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah dude manual is what the doc ordered

or some blessed soul to post a wiring diagram

Old 09-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got a couple updates and pics: (these are copied and pasted from another forum btw)

I'm more worried about taking it apart to get to it, since I would almost have to remove the whole motor and then unbolt what I just got done putting back together.

More updates:
Somebody painted it blue, and it looked horrible like that because some of the paint had come off and blue and red don't mix, so I took the body out to the pressure washer and i got most of the old paint off. Now I have to tackle the task of finding bolts and putting the body back on as best as I can.

Also, Sunday I was about to test something I put on, without the seat on, and I sat on the old wires that went to the battery. Apparently they were hot because it zapped my ***, then I grabbed them and it shocked my hand. Shortly after that I taped up any bare or loose wires in a bundle.

So, now I need to figure out how to connect the generator to the battery from the regulator. What do I need to connect to the battery? Does the battery need to just be grounded to the frame?

I do have relays now.

Today I put some oil in it and took it for a little drive. Still running and driving great, but I think i might have to get that oil seal, because it only leaks after you run it, and it leaks quite a bit.

Here are some pics of what is left of the electrical system:

Possible starter lead wires? I know that there is a brown wire that goes into the relay, but that wires seems to go up front.
Name:  000_0749.jpg
Views: 22875
Size:  73.2 KB

Wires in the front
Name:  000_0748.jpg
Views: 29507
Size:  128.4 KB

Where the battery used to connect.
Name:  000_0747.jpg
Views: 13196
Size:  72.0 KB

Battery wires
Name:  000_0746.jpg
Views: 21210
Size:  97.9 KB

Bike itself

Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

YA i aquired a 96 Bayou 300 4x4 for a few hundred dollars. And same issue wiring and engine problems. I am really glad i bought a manual. I got the Clymer manual and it has saved my but so much time and money. Well worth the $20.00 bucks. Plus i bought a new wiring harness so i new there would not be an issue. Like the guys said earlier get a manual it will help.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I have a quick favor to ask

So I saw you had 00 bayou 220, and that you have full access the the cdi module box. I have an 01 bayou 220 and I broke the connector the plugs into the CDI module box, and I lost all the wiring. Now, I need to figure out which wire goes where so I can re-wire the new connector. If you could clean the the wires that go into the plug so the color shows, and send me a picture or two, so I know the wire pattern, that would be awesome.
Thanks

Old 04-13-2017, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=smk8er;2648959]YA i aquired a 96 Bayou 300 4x4 for a few hundred dollars. And same issue wiring and engine problems. I am really glad i bought a manual. I got the Clymer manual and it has saved my but so much time and money. Well worth the
Just was wondering if u have a red and black wire up front that goes to nothing like extra I do and don't get what their for

Old 04-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the red and black wire is for aux lighting. That is what they are on the Bayou 300. Easy test is hook up a meter or test light. I think they are energized only when the high beam switch is on