Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I need some help with my Bayou 220 PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help with my Bayou 220 PLEASE

I really need some help guys. I have a 1998 Bayou 220 that I got a good deal on but it has a couple of problems. It runs great but when you shift out of neutral into 1st gear, it jumps right back into 1st but it you hold up on the shifter pretty hard it will stay in 1st. It shifts into and out of all other gears just fine. The other problem is that it shut off when you come to a stop. What's up with that. If anyone any suggestions please reply. The atv has been sitting for a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

No ideas at all? I've posted two questions in a week and haven't gotten a response on neither one. Have I offended someone in some way?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

from what u describe sounds like the centrifical clutch is staying engaged all the time, the clutch is only suposed to engage at a certain rpm, is the machine trying to pull all the time even at idle? if so u'll have to replace the clutch, u'll have to pull the cover off the side of the engine on the left side if setting on the seat and u'll see it, basically just a larger version of a chain saw clutch, works the same way.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, when you put it in gear it jumps into gear and take off. It will not sit in one spot while in gear. I'm a little mechanically inclined, is this a difficult repair requiring the use of specialized tools? Thank you for your reply.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Taking the cover off is easy, not sure about getting the clutch assembly off. Get a service and repair manual, it will walk you through the procedure. Without one you are walking blind. If you are lucky it could maybe just be a bad spring. You may have to remove the motor from the frame to get the cover off, but you might be able to just unbolt it and slide it forward.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Being handicapped it's not worth it to me to try and remove the motor. I spoke with a Kawasaki tech today and he said that it sounded like first gear and the shift fork was going bad. I'm going to sell both the Kawasaki 220 and a Honda trx 200 and buy 2 new ones. Both run good but need work.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

what year trx200 do u have, and what do you want for the pair? Where are you located? I'm Interested in both of them if you're not too far away

Old 02-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm in New Bern, NC. I'll have to think about the asking price. Shoot me an email @ raydaughety@earthlink.net

Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

fixing the clutch problem is pretty simple as long as u have a impact wrench, u pull the side cover then loosen the nut on the centrifical clutch and it slides right off, will take about 20-30mins of ur time, pulling the engine isn't required, if this is ur problem which sounds to me like it is.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, log_Dog, if I decided to take on this project myself, where would I get the parts and what parts would I need? I have an impact wrench and plenty of other tools. I also have a manual for the bike.

Quick Reply: I need some help with my Bayou 220 PLEASE