Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

prairie 360 belt stays engaged

Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prairie 360 belt stays engaged

Hello I,m new to this site and it is very helpful because of all the great members. Now that being said. I recently purchased a used 2005 Prairie 360. When you shift into any gear the gears rake pretty bad. Like the belt is not disengaging. The idle seems to be slow enough. Also when you give the gas to go sometimes you can hear the actuator on the belt housing make a noise I dont know if this is normal. The previous owner had the belt changed maybe someone could not have done it properly. Thanks for any help

Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you can get lots of good info here.
When you ask questions, always try to give as much info as possible on "symptoms" and about your machine.
> Is it 2WD or 4x4 model?
> If it's a 4x4 model, does it engage in and out of 4WD mode OK?
> When you say gears rake, do you mean like grinding?
> Yes, actuator makes a slight noise when you give gas from standing still. But does it make that wheezing sound when you turn off the ignition key also (it should)?
> Is there any there any light on or flashing?
> Does the quad try to creep when you put in gear fron neutral to L or H gear in idling rpm (it should not)?
> Is there anything else that doesn't seem right on the quad?

It's like going seeing a doctor, more info you give, better you will be diagnosed and fixed.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Hayashi and thanks for your reply. It is a 4wd, and it engages in and out of 4wd ok. The gears rake/grind when you engage them at idle. Also sometimes when you try to stop the bike keeps pulling until you shift it into neutral. The actuator does make the wheezing sound when you turn off the ignition. What does the actuator on clutch housing do. The lights seem to be working properly being on when suppose to be. As stated earlier the bike does creep when you put it in gear. The guy I bought it from stated he bought a new belt from ebay and had his nephew install it. It acts like maybe the belt is too tight or maybe the actuator has something to do with it. Yesterday I had my Lakota running and the 360 Prairie running at the same time and noticed a low sounding knock coming from the prairie. You notice it mostly at idle. I got my mechanics stethescope out and it sounds the loudest below the pull rope area of the engine. Could this be coming from the oil pump? Is this normal from this engine. I changed the oil recently and put the proper weight in it plus filter change. Thanks for any help!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Let's try analyzing your new info. There is a lot to it.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: coze
The gears rake/grind when you engage them at idle. </end quote></div>
&gt; Two possible causes:
1). Idle rpm too high.
2). Shift linkage adjustment out.

Also sometimes when you try to stop the bike keeps pulling until you shift it into neutral. ce it mostly at idle. </end quote></div>
&gt; Two possible causes.
1). Idle rpm too high.
2). Engine brake actuator or Controller going bad.

What does the actuator on clutch housing do. </end quote></div>
Two functions.
1). Engine braking during deceleration.
2). Helps drive converter to squeeze on belt harder.

he bought a new belt from ebay and had his nephew install it. It acts like maybe the belt is too tight or maybe the actuator has something to do with it. </end quote></div>
&gt; Is it a genuine Kawi belt?
&gt; Did his nephew know what he was doing? Who knows... It's not as simple as putting on a piece of rubber band. The belt deflection must be set to the spec. Yes, it sounds like too tight issue.

I got my mechanics stethescope out and it sounds the loudest below the pull rope area of the engine. Could this be coming from the oil pump? Is this normal from this engine. I changed the oil recently and put the proper weight in it plus filter change.</end quote></div>
&gt; Knocking sound from the left side could be the main bearing issue (seizing) at the crank end. Is the mechanic certain that it's from the left side? You don't want to split the engine for wrong diagnosis. If it's from the right side, it could be as simple as drive converter related issue.
&gt; When you did hte oil change, how dark/dirty was it? Did you see any metal debris? If in doubt, run the quad some more and do another oil change and check.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

if the light is on there is a pluge what up can onpluge and pluge back in and it will turn of

Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dune 400ex

if the light is on there is a pluge what up can onpluge and pluge back in and it will turn of</end quote></div>

That only turns off the light. It does not fix the real problem.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have set the idle as low as possible without stalling and sometimes the gears rake/grind or it still keeps pulling. Should there be any gear mesh feel or noise when you shift it in High,Low or reverse? I took the belt cover off today the belt is a Dayco brand. I could not see anything visually wrong inside except the belt-grease residue had a light dusting of metal dust through out it. How much deflection should the belt have, and how is it adjusted? The oil was pretty dirty when I changed it I did not see any metal debris. The low knock noise seems to get quieter when it warms up. But the noise seems louder on the left side of the engine. Do you know if the carb from my Lakota would work on this bike. I see wires going to the prairie carb. Does it have an electric float? Thanks again Hayashi your an asset to this site.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

n

Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

n

Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior