Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

03 Bayou 250 - want info, need advice - Have mods & BLING

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the lights work,

I even swapped all of them out for better leds and then shrink tube sealed them.

..neutral/green and reverse/red
even tapped into the high and low beams. green for low and blue for high

works perfect..looks cool

I'll post a few pics later

my gas gauge is shot, its a mechanical one, the float is prolly worn out, they sell a rebuild kit, but maybe I'll mod one from another machine..have to do a little research.

I can build just about anything.... I recently vampired a cruise control stalk and switch from a Rav4 and integrated it into an 94 Mr2's cruise control system.
lotta rewiring but works perfect,
it upgrades the switch and moved it to a better location so I could use a Momo wheel and still reach the cruise properly.

and it looks stock.

I am really trying to mod my headlights to LEDS, which if I was satisfied with one setting then it would be an easy task just to add the socket for an 880 fog light bulb in LED.

but I want hi/lo beams..and finding a dual intensity LED headlight beam is almost impossible.

dual are fine for brake lights and whatnot..but headlamp bulbs are a little different.

I mainly just want to reduce my amp load on the system, that way I can add more without having to upgrade the stator or rectifier.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Range Rover

I put LED's in my tail lights and im going the HID route with the head lights. I hate my fuel gauge. It broke when i was messing with it now i have nothing but taking the cap off and look in. I want a REAL fuel gauge not a basic float like we have on the bayou. So if you come across or build anything keep me posted! I am also very mechanical and im working on a powered angle snow plow for my quad using a hydraulic pump and ram from a outboard motor on a boats tilt trim. but alot of my projects are water born home made Remotely operated Vehicles (ROV's)..

Old 10-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

I have led tails too, they do look much better.

I could add HID's and prolly lower the draw somewhat.
but that would require new housings for the bulbs as the stock headlight case is just plain plastic ..not to exceed 25w.

on the Bayou 250 the gauge is mounted on the tank on top..it kinda snaps in, but since its in a chemical environment and mechanical, its easy for this thing to get busted up.

same as most lawn mowers or tractors.. the mechanical dial doesnt last forever.

its easy to replace, but I feel ya on wanting something better.
I always forget to check.

there are universal LED gauges for fuel level but they require a sending unit.
mostly based on what autos have on the car already...and they are bulky for atv cycle use.

But I have seen several motorcycles with fuel gauges on the dash..meaning that they have some sort of tank mounted sending unit.

it would be easy to adapt it to another bike and another display unit as long as ohm range is similar.

Ideally the best solution would be a cap with a digital readout.
or a drop-in replacement for the gauges we already have..but since the current gauge its flush mount and the new gauge is much thicker..

either a raised bezel must be used..or the gauge recessed into the tank, which prolly insnt a good idea.

The sending unit is prolly the easiest challenge to overcome.

its not rocket science...the unit just sends a signal to the gauge.
gauge interprets and displays.

heres a link to a unit for a harley..but it still needs the sending unit...this one is a bit spendy
Kryakyn - Harley - Informer L.E.D. Fuel & Battery Gauge

The cheapest option is to find the flaws in the stock gauge and eliminate them.

if its cheap plastic, then find a more reliable plastic and fab a float out of that..if its wear and tear of the float being bounced around and scratch against the dial pole.
Then find a way to cushion it.

keep you posted

Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

bam!

think I found it but still expensive

Remark Industries :: Digital Fuel Gauge

or how about an entire dash...?

http://www.electrosport.com/atv/spee...eries-1500.php

Old 10-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Range Rover

yeah thats what im talking about now if it was under a hundred id buy it so i guess of to ebay to see what i can find!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer

yeah, I like the gas gauge thing..that would be perfect but @ 179.00 just cant do it.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

ya 179.00 is above my wallet especially on an older machine. if it was under a hundred i would consider it but i think im gonna have to keep looking.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Let me start off by saying You have the nicest bayou ive ever seen. i have an 05 bayou and have been adding/fixing it up since the day i got it in 05. currently i have a procircuit t-4 exhaust and k&n filters. i have added a jet kit but ive recently ran into a problem and i was hoping you could give me some advice on it. after i installed my jet and put the carb on whenever i switch the gas on fuel runs out the drain hoses. its a pretty bad leak too. ive taken it apart and put it back together atleast 3 times hoping to correct any mistake i could have made but still whenever i switch on the gas it leaks. if you have any idea what is going on id greatly appreciate it. thanks and again your bayou is top notch

Old 11-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, yeah I like my Bayou
easy to work on easy to fix if something breaks.

still have alot of mods to do until Im happy and want to move on.
( I rode in a rzr the other day, and I think thats my next machine)

hmm.. strange usually this occurs if the float is sticking and just dumping gas into the bowl.

are you sure it is the correct jet?
maybe it is too tall.?

hoses connected corrretly?

idk

Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

been a while
added some new gear.

- front and rear racks and brush guard are now "rhinolined" (used rattle can bedliner this stuff works great, very durable!)
- added a 1500lb winch
- added a UHMW fairlead and amsteel blue synthetic cable (to save on weight)
- added a wireless remote kit for winch
- added Kolpin fin grips gun rack on front for the mossberg
- added a modified drop leg holster on the side of the bike for my Smith40 and extra mag.
- added folding seat back and ammo cans very similar to this guys setup.

I need new shocks, and I refuse to spend dealer prices or thousands of dollars on shocks.

ATV shocks are outrageously overpriced..its disgusting actually.

I put HD adjustable Bilsteins on my truck at all four corners for less than 300.00

to do the same quality type shock for the atv is about 2 grand
its absolutely sickening how overpriced aftermarket or even OEM shocks are for atvs.

although I did find this site...
ATV Parts Item Class, Page 1

very reasonable "normal" prices you would expect for a utility atv shock

I am gonna measure the shock and call some of the shock distributors and see if they have something that will match up. If I can get it within an inch and a similar bolt patter, I should be okay.

I am not racing, only some mudding and aggressive trail riding.
but I just cant/wont/ buy a set of Fox's or Works.

If anyone has a better suggestion..nows the time to chime in.
(dont mention used from CL or ebay, I'm not buying used shocks...need new ones only)

Quick Reply: 03 Bayou 250 - want info, need advice - Have mods & BLING