Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1989 Kawasaki Mojave 250 carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Kawasaki Mojave 250 carb problem

Hi, I inherited a 1989 Kawasaki Mojave 250, and I am having carb problems. I have tried numerous carbs on this ATV
(4 to be exact) and all of them leak out the bowl drain plug. I have used new float needle, and adjusted the float properly, and cleaned carb. I was an small engine mechanic for 20 years, just not ATV's so I am not a rookie. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong. The fuel streams out of the drain plug. Although all of the carbs. are used, what are the chances of me getting 4 with bad float needle seats, which are not replaceable

Old 11-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

My 89 Mojave was doing that too so I put a rebuild kit in it and it took care of the problem if that's any help.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks honkaw, I tried that also, and it still does it. This Mojave has just really has me confused. I might have to go with a new carb. But they cost a fortune. And I already have about 200 dollars stuck in carbs. maybe I should just part the machine out. At least I should be able to make a couple of bucks. After trying four different carbs, I have about had it. You would think at least one would not leak.
Thanks, Wayne

Last edited by theepuppy; 11-26-2009 at 07:00 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 11-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Trailblazer

You may want to take the petcock off and clean the tank REAL well. The Mojave is known to be a real PITA to get dirt out of the tank... I think this may be your problem. The petcock sits in sort of a pocket and dirt gets trapped. I had a similar problem and put an in line filter on it. Good luck. I think a piece of dirt is getting in the seat.. hence, causing it not to seat all the way..

Old 11-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mojave Carb.

Hello, I have installed a new in-line fuel filter, but I have not cleaned the petcock, Although I do not think that is the problem, I will clean the tank and petcock, and give that a try.
Thanks, Wayne

Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Trailblazer

Hey,.. how did you make out with that Mojave?..

Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello, not any luck as of yet, I have one more thing to try today, and if that does not work I might put it away for the winter. Because with Christmas coming up fast, I cannot afford to spend any more money on it now.
Thanks, Wayne

Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

A couple things I happened to think of that you can try that won't cost anything is 1) are you double posative that your float is adjusted properly , 2) could your float have any gas inside it, i've seen this before, 3) do you have a manual showing the proper adjusment procedure for this fussy carb , if not I could try to scan mine and try to send it to you, I like the Mojave but I'm not a big fan of these vaccume carbs I've read on this post somewhere that one can put a regular slide carb from another bike and put on your Mojave but I don't remember what will fit on there, you might be able to search the archives here under Mojave and find that post , Good luck I hope this might help you in some way , Have a merry Christmas.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Honkaw, I finally did get the Mojave running, I got a different (better) name brand carb. kit. The one I purchased before was kinda cheap, so I paid more and got a name brand kit, No more generic parts for me, I guess you do get what you pay for. But I do have another question for you, as you seem to know the Mojave quite well. And I cannot seem to find the information anywhere as to where the fuel fitting line from the top fuel fitting on the carb. goes. The fitting is the same as the lower fuel inlet fitting towards the bottom of the carb. It does seem to run pretty good now, but I would like to connect it anyhow. My guess is it goes to the air filter assembly , but parts of my air cleaner housing assembly are missing. I am thinking of installing a K&N air filter, and just eliminating about all that stock housing. So anyhow where is your top fitting connected to. By the way, thanks for all your help, What year Mojave do you have? The guy I bought mine from used it for ice racing, and it has studded tires, I took it for a ride yesterday, and it is Quite fast. I ordered a good used stock muffler and pipe on E-Bay, I think the exhaust on it now is for racing. It is one piece, and it is just too loud for local riding.
Thanks again, Wayne

Old 12-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Wayne; I went out to the gardge and looked at my '89 and couldn't really see it very well but I'm thinking it's a vent and I think mine is routed down thru the frame if I remember right, I'm glad you got yours running good, I think you could easyly sell your extra carbs on e-bay, and I was reading that without the stock air box ( which I will admit is a royle pain)
it will be hard to get the bike running right, just from my experence I would leave it stock but it's up to you . Have an awsome Christmas, does it snow where you live , if it does these bikes go thru the snow pretty good have fun.

Quick Reply: 1989 Kawasaki Mojave 250 carb problem