Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Clutch removal brute force

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch removal brute force

Was just trying to remove the primary clutch on a bruteforce 750, do not have the puller, with the snowmobiles it is possible to tip the sled on its side, remove the bolt, put water down in and insert the clutch bolt with teflon tape on it and it pops the clutch off, read online that some ppl have done this with the brute force but i had no luck, i know the right thing to do is buy the tool but wanted it off now, has anyone ever done this with water?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have a sled and read the water thing but I don't understand how that works using the original bolt unless that bolt first threads thru the clutch and then threads into the crank.

And

Make sure to use the right puller. I about screwed up the thread on my crank by trying to use a snowmobile puller I had. The sled puller threaded in just fine and seated against the crank. I started to apply pressure, everything seemed normal, then I got the feeling it was turning a little easier. I removed the puller and the end of the puller was shiny on the sides a little. Uh oh, the puller had penetrated the crank bolt hole and rounded over the first few threads ever so slightly but enough that I had to use the bolt from my old clutch, oiled real well, and gradually work it in and back out a number of times and eventually was able to thread it all the way in.

BTW - I have a reverse thread tap that I bought for this but never used it so if anyone needs a $25 tap, let me know. Ha. I'd sell it for cheap because I'll never need it.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolt on the sleds does thread threw the clutch and then the crank. On ski doos anyway.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bolt holding the primary clutch on my 2000 Kaw 400 4x4 does not thread thru the clutch then into the crank. The bolt goes right thru the clutch without hitting any threads, then threads into the crank. I know, I just checked (my OEM clutch is in a box because I replaced it with a Comet).

I do have a clutch puller that I will sell you. Used one time. The Comet uses a different puller.