Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 300 shifter stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bayou 300 shifter stuck

Tried to replace the neutral holder on a 94 Bayou 300 4x4. It shifted fine before I started so don't think it's a bent shift fork as I've been reading about. I don't know anything about the shift fork but I don't think I will be able to take the case apart further. The shifting wasn't a problem before I started. I've had the clutch cover off and have loosened and put the cam bolt and and every looks in order. I can move the shifter up and down inside but the hooks that grab the cam just won't turn it. The machine isn't in neutral now and I can't get it back to that point any more. I can see the spot on the cam where neutral is but can't turn cam to the roller on the bottom that holds it in place. Is there anything else that can be done at this point or does the case have to be split. I just can't understand what happened.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Could anyone at least tell me if I should be able to turn the shifting cam(star) by hand fairly easily in order to change gears? If I loosen up the bolt, screws and washer that hold the cam in place should the drum turn easily. I wouldn't know about the correct position but I would like to know if something is jamming up the drum or to know for sure that it's the shift forks.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am in the same boat with a 1992 Bayou 300 2x4 and would like to know if I should be able to turn the star or cam-shift drum by hand after removing everything I can (clutches, shift rod/linkage, roller lever) from the case. I'm just trying to get a little verification or some sort of check in place before committing to splitting the case for bent shift forks.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you know what caused your situation? From what I could see the star should turn fairly easily by putting a little pressure on it. It should be the same amount of pressue you put on it when you move the shift lever with your foot. If everything is working properly it shifts easily. I think clockwise shifts up and counter-clockwise back down again but I'm not 100 percent sure. Is yours stuck in gear or is it in neutral? You must have seen the neutral spot on star and depending on where the roller is positioned you should be able to see how far it is from neutral.

I had both the clutch cover off and the gear cover removed. I could pull the drum just a little from one side to the other. I think the bearing was pushed out a little on one side and the drum wasn't in the cradle properly. I didn't know what was happening with the shifting forks but I just couldn't get it. It was really frustrating I finally had give in and take to a repair shop. I was assuming he would have to split the case but he didn't have to. He was able to position the drum and get it shifting again. I wished I could have seen what he did. It was still a $337 fix though even without splitting the case.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

The problem with mine is the most of the time, I cam not able to get it into forward gear. It goes into reverse however. As far as my drum, I can ture it either way, but has to turn my wheels in order to find a sweet spot. My drum bearing is flush with the case and does not move so I don't think that's the problem. This last time I had the cover open, I decided to clean the secondary clutch plates with brake cleaner just in case the previous owner might have ran regular motor oil in her. I did the same cleaning on the primary clutch for grins. I'm not sure what else to check, I think I've covered it all short of splitting the case. The lever shift shaft and cam components look OK. The only think I have noticed is the clutch release screw has a little play in it within the cover but once you adjust it and lock it down with the lock nut, it pretty much stays put so I don't think that's an issue. I haven't really got a chance to test drive the Bayou let because it's not running right. No power when throttled to the point of wanting to die. It was fin when I rebuilt the carb, but now I'm thinking that trash might have got in somewhere now. Not sure where it would have came from because I covered and replaced everything on the tank, might might have to give it a cleaning again. The air/fuel screw is adjusted per my manual. I read about people tweeking there but heck, the screw is inside the carb. Seems like a lot of work to do some trial and errors with that screw. If you can think of anything I might have missed about the shifting,please do let me know. I'll post an update when I get to test drive her again. Just need to find the time to mess around with the carb I guess. Thanks for posting and sorry for the slow reply back.